A little guidance please (shop lighting)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a customer who has a shop and he wants to make it brighter and Im stuck on suggestions, its a small shop with oak beams, he currently has 7 x 5ft twin fluorescents (58w) mounted in between the oak beams but obviously the beams are causing shadows.

I've done a rough drawing of the shop and wondered if anyone had any suggestions, the ceiling height is about 2m so the lights have to be mounted in between the beams.

View media item 18797
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Suspend lights on chains to lower them or fix them to the beams.

Given the low ceiling height I would be inclined to look at wall washers and up lighters - it would depend on colour schemes.

Would more specific task lighting (spot lights etc) help.

Sponsored Links
What about single T5 fluorescents between each beam. T5 make more light than T8s, and it would be spread out more. No shadows.

Thanks for the replies, the fittings already have (what I know them as) CAT 2 diffuser - the tin reflective diffuser generally used in offices.

Wall lights not an option as the display cabinets are floor to ceiling.

Steve I'm not that familiar with fluorescents known as T5 and T8, are you thinking adding an extra single florescent where the beams have no lights in them - thats all I could come up with but just wasn't sure about having a fitting in between every beam but not a lot of options

Steve I'm not that familiar with fluorescents known as T5 and T8, are you thinking adding an extra single florescent where the beams have no lights in them - thats all I could come up with but just wasn't sure about having a fitting in between every beam but not a lot of options
T5 and T8 refer to the diameter of the tube. T8 is the standard these days, but T5 are becoming more popular due to their higher efficiency. They are smaller tubes, but much brighter per inch². T5 fittings are only electronic, never switch-started - usually rapid start. T12 used to be popular - and are still used but only in 8ft fittings. My Grandad has a few T12 lamps still in service. But they are vastly inefficient compared to T5s.

I was thinking you could replace the old fittings with singles, and fit an extra single between each beam. Though I appreciate this isnt exactly gonna be attractive - it depends what sort of shop it is I guess.

Thanks, the existing tubes are the thinner type already, maybe dropping the light is the only option

Cold cathode tubes fixed along the bottom edge of the side of each beam?

[code:1]============================================
| | | |
| | | |
o|______|o o|______|o[/code:1]

Or if the beams are not of architectural/historical merit, and having taken structural engineering advice, cc tubes recessed into the bottom of them?

[code:1]============================================
| | | |
| | | |
|___o__| |___o__| [/code:1]

Thanks guys you've given me some ideas and I can put forward some suggestions to the customer

Metal halide uplighters.

Did you know you can get warm white (3000k) metal halides? I didnt, until I started working at my new shop. Theres metal halide spots around the edges, I thought they were halogen until I saw them startup one morning.

Anyway, I digress.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back