Fluorescent lights - how likely to the ballasts blow out?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

In the ceiling of our shop we have fluorescent lighting which is 2 x 5ft tubes at 58w each. The other day i was removing one of the tubes to replace it with another one to check if that was working.

However, i didnt switch the light off at the mains (as it would get too dark and i thought the other tube would stay lit), but unfortunately it started to make a "fizzling" sound like short circuiting and then both lights went out. Iv replaced them both and they wont work, i can only hazard a guess and say the High Frequency Ballast at the back has blown. A new one is £25, but i just want to know how likely it would be that removing this light caused the ballast to blow?

This one here seems to fit the bill if someone doesnt know what im referring to:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260827284274&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Thanks.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Sorry, forgot tot mention that before i blew the lights out both tubes had been flickering for quite a few months. Dont know if that makes a difference to the diagnosis.

Sorry, forgot tot mention that before i blew the lights out both tubes had been flickering for quite a few months. Dont know if that makes a difference to the diagnosis.
In that case, the ballast was already faulty. HF units should switch off completely if the tube fails.

Sponsored Links
In that case, the ballast was already faulty. HF units should switch off completely if the tube fails.

But when i replaced the tube with a new one that was working the lights still didnt come on, so does that mean the HF Unit has blown out?

yes the hf ballast is goosed

Thanks for getting straight to the point mate, im going to order 2 later today.

Also, the guy from the ebay link has quoted me for 2, posted to my house, at £16. Cant really argue with that.

Yes HF ballasts do not like you fiddling with them while on. And also often both lamps go though same ballast. As other say price to quote is very cheap. We found one had to change tubes quite quickly after they showed signs of failing to save the ballast, which was really reverse of whole point of using HF ballasts which was to close down room every three years and re-tube all together as they were so hard to get to.
If we could get to tube without scaffold we would change as soon as it showed any signs of flicker. But with those we could not access without scaffold they would be left until next major re-tube and more often then not by that time the ballast had blown.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back