A new one on me!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Citroen Berlingo Multispace, 12 plate and driven to hell. If you want a vehicle to abuse, get one of these.
Punter says the side sliding door won't latch, have I any ideas why? Nope.
The reason however, was pretty obvious - the lock wasn't even there :p
I guess it's still inside the door, so it's a job for Monday. Here's hoping I don't have to take the complete door off!
Have a good evening, everyone
John :)

Sponsored Links
If you had a service manual, you wouldn't have to stay up all night worrying it. But, you will tell me for 50 years you never needed any manual, and you don't need one now.

A curious response.......sort of bear baiting maybe? Anyway, no worries about that!
I'm not worrying about the job, in fact I'd almost forgotten about it. I have enough confidence to step right in. My biggest worry is the weather.
I find most manuals worse than useless (not naming any publication, but some of the data does come in handy). Haynes got it seriously wrong with the early Fiesta Kent engine (valve opening sequence) showing that their research wasn't valid.
I have subscribed to Autodata for at least 20 years (now lapsed) - they tell me all I want to know. Each publication is around the £50 mark.
I have no car mechanics qualifications whatsoever, and have never pretended otherwise. I don't even know what they are.
I have other qualifications, most of them useless now apart from adding meaningless letters after a name.
Have a good evening, everyone

Sponsored Links
Sorted -- not a job for cold weather with all the plastic trim bits but a straightforward job all the same.
A bit awkward with the sliding door going all over the place when removing the door card but nothing to be scared of.
Tip though, for anyone with a vehicle with sliding side doors - do keep the lower track greased or the door will tend to drop.
The new screws have been Loctited in!

But But surely mister OP that's what this forum is all about. Ask a question and there is always an arsy useless reply somewhere in the thread. Par for the course I would say for this forum.

I seem to remember the Renault Kango is basic the same car, there is a reed switch to stop you opening the door if the fuel filler lid is open.
No, the Kangoo was Renault's own, but the Citroen Berlingo was also the Peugeot Partner of the day. The current Berlingo is also the Peugeot Rifter, Vauxhall Combo and the Toyota ProAce!

Sorted -- not a job for cold weather with all the plastic trim bits but a straightforward job all the same.
A bit awkward with the sliding door going all over the place when removing the door card but nothing to be scared of.
Tip though, for anyone with a vehicle with sliding side doors - do keep the lower track greased or the door will tend to drop.
The new screws have been Loctited in!

I'm pretty certain the original bolts have "patch lock" on the screws holding the latch assembly to the door skin?

The original screws were 8mm pan head allen......gone, of course!
I’m sure they would have been patch locked originally but I’ve no idea of this vehicles history. The other side door was fine so all I did there was to grease the sliding track.
John

My Dad has an 05 plate Berlingo which gets a lot of abuse. The clutch is on its last legs but it keeps going!

As it happens, I've just 'repaired' the lock on my 406. A very common problem occurs with these (and probably other contemporary models) whereby an piece of alloy brakes off from a part within the barrel and jams it up, making unlocking/locking the car impossible with the key. This was a problem as I don't use remote locking.

Once I'd got to the barrel and removed it, the problematic part simply fell out when I held the spring-loaded key cover open. It came from a larger ring of metal which sits at the bottom of the barrel's housing, but I have no idea of its function. Anyway, the barrel now turns and I can activate the central locking.

Annoyingly, there's a single trim clip left on the door card which I can't push back into place, so when I'm idling at lights, it rattles loudly on the door!

Sponsored Links
Back