A quick look at my fusebox?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Just moved into a new house and am thinking about replacing my rewirable fuses with MCBs and here looks like a great place to ask! Here's a photo of the fusebox and a couple of fuses which I took out:

IMG_1709.jpg

IMG_1708.jpg

As you can see, the 30A (cooker) fuse has already been switched to MCB type. As far as I can see, I should be ok to swap the old ones over with these:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Manufacturers/Wylex/Wylex_Standard_Range/index.html

If really necessary, I'll replace the whole thing, but I'm well aware that just because it's old, doesn't mean it isn't safe. I would like to change them because a) it's much quicker to flick a switch than to rewire a fuse b) I understand MCBs should trip quicker than fusewire (so they could be slightly safer).

Any comments or advice would be appreciated!

Thanks, Ed.

Sponsored Links
can't see any problems wih that..
but you might want to get a periodic test done to make sure it's all up to scratch..

and for gods sakes... get a fuse cover or blank put on that exposed way, fast... :eek:

That's where the 30A breaker in the piccy came from?

But you do need a shield for it.... :eek:

Can you post a bigger picture of the whole area, with the meter and service fuse visible? This may give us a better picture of the state of the installation.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies. I suspected there might be a cover missing for the 30A fuse (yes, I did pull it out when I took the photo, it isn't usually exposed like that).

Here's another pic with more of the beautifully installed system:

IMG_1711.jpg

We'd really like to shift the whole thing because it's in an awkward spot in the living room, but I wouldn't think of attempting something like that myself and it would cost us many hundreds to get it moved.

Ed

It looks like a PME type supply, you will need a 30mA RCD to protect your ground floor sockets as a bare minimum.

kai said:
It looks like a PME type supply, you will need a 30mA RCD to protect your ground floor sockets as a bare minimum.

This is not to current standards, but you cannot declare it unsafe just because of the abscence of an RCD. I do agree that it would be better to have RCD protection.

The supply type has nothing to do with RCD protection to the sockets.

It also appears to have undersized tails and main earth, and a lack of main bonding, as does virtually every installation of this age.

to OP: Do you have electric night storage heaters, and possibly a second fuse box?

RF Lighting said:
to OP: Do you have electric night storage heaters, and possibly a second fuse box?

No, we have neither.

I understand the principle of an RCD and it sounds like a good idea to have one. Is this something I can buy and attach or is it more involved (requiring professional installation)?

We do have an electric shower, which we plan to replace soon (it pumps water out, I'm not entirely sure it heats it though). I don't know if this affects what I need in my fusebox.

You say "undersized tails and main earth, and a lack of main bonding", I don't really know what this means, but is it true to say that "an old system like this should be reasonably safe if properly maintained, but modern system comply to stricter safety regulations"?

Thanks,

Ed

ted209 said:
I understand the principle of an RCD and it sounds like a good idea to have one. Is this something I can buy and attach or is it more involved (requiring professional installation)?

Installing an RCD into the consumer unit is a job best left to competant electricians. There are parts inside the consumer unit that remain live even after the main switch is opened.

ted209 said:
We do have an electric shower, which we plan to replace soon (it pumps water out, I'm not entirely sure it heats it though). I don't know if this affects what I need in my fusebox.

Electric showers are better off with RCD protection than not, but as mentioned this is not a requirement - yet.

ted209 said:
You say "undersized tails and main earth, and a lack of main bonding", I don't really know what this means, but is it true to say that "an old system like this should be reasonably safe if properly maintained, but modern system comply to stricter safety regulations"?

The 'tails' are the cables from meter to consumer unit.
The main earth is the green and yellow cable going from CU to service fuse (in your most recent pic its at the top left).
Main bonding connects the supply pipes entering your house (gas/water/oil etc.) to the main earth terminal at the CU.

A lack on main bonding is an issue which should be remedied ASAP. You can do this yourself, just get some suitable clamps and some 10mm² G&Y cable and run an unbroken length from each service back the consume unit. (the bond should be made within 600mm of the meter if fitted or as close to its point of entry if not).

Forgive me if mes yeux fail me, but that looks like TN-S.

Isn't the cable a bit fatter?

ted209 said:
RF Lighting said:

No, we have neither.

I was curious as you have a radio teleswitch (the big black box in the right of your last picture).

This receives a radio signal with switches on and off the power to off peak equipment such as night storage heaters, so you can benifit from reduced cost electricity when demand from the national grid is low.

If you do not require this facility then it may be an idea to contact your DNO and ask them to remove it, as you will be being charged for the facility wether you utilise it or not!

RF Lighting said:
I was curious as you have a radio teleswitch (the big black box in the right of your last picture).

This receives a radio signal with switches on and off the power to off peak equipment such as night storage heaters, so you can benifit from reduced cost electricity when demand from the national grid is low.

If you do not require this facility then it may be an idea to contact your DNO and ask them to remove it, as you will be being charged for the facility wether you utilise it or not!

That's interesting, I didn't realize that. We hear a click there at about 11pm every day. Is this the same thing as having "Economy 7"? We use very little electricity overnight, so it sounds like it's not suitable for us.

Check your bill. E7 costs a little extra (although it is much cheaper at night) so the tariff may not suit you if you don't use much night-time electricity. It is possible to change the tariff without having the radio switch removed, though, so the presence of the switch need not mean you are on that tariff. You don't need to contact the DNO, the company that send your bill is responsible for knowing who the company is.

BTW changing your old CU to MCBs is no big deal, I don't imagine you get many blown fuses. MCBs are more likely to trip when a bulb fails as they react quicker. It works out fairly expensive if you buy new ones, but because there were millions of Wylex Standard Boxes installed over the last forty years, there are heaps of them around on the second-hand market. Used MCBs usually go for about £3 each on ebay. I have some. It is essential to fit the correct plastic shields, though, as they are not interchangable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back