A slim quadrant moulding for Laminate flooring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting a high quality/ durable laminate floor in the hallway. Having fitted both glued and click types in much of the house, I am looking for a better looking and more discreet quadrant moulding - plastic or wood - than the ones usually available in flooring stores, to finish where floor meets skirting. They are typically a section about 18mm x 20mm which looks so bulky set against the floor and skirting. The laminate to skirting gap need not be more than 6-8mm so 18mm sitting over that is a lot of overlap, making the whole thing look quite ugly at those dimensions.

I know that removing and refitting the skirting sounds the best for a good look, but in practice removing skirting that has been there 80 years can do a lot of damage no matter how careful you are; those large cut clasp nails buried under years of putty and paint hold it with quite a grip. So if I was fitting new ones then I would go this route. But disturbing and the risk of wrecking the originals makes me go for a neat and discrete moulding.

The other choice is floor colour or white to match the skirting? I always favour the latter, I feel it looks odd to see the floor effectively coming up the wall, like the sides of a tray !! Better instead that the beading becomes an extension of the skirting. So it will be painted white and can be wood, particle/mdf or plastic.

Is there anything around about 12 x 12mm? I need about 20metres in total for that and another room. I can't see anything that slim out there.
Any help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
the minimum expansion gap you should ever leave is 10mm not 6-8mm so a thin pine beading will not be suitable the scotia is the way to go but instead of getting a wood look, go with a white one and overpaint it this will give you the best finish without removing your skirting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back