A Tree

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
There is a tree in our garden, the first 6 ft of the trunk are covered in ivy.
I want to try and remove it but it is horrible.
I thought of taking the electric saw to it (I have a B&D one that works like a chainsaw) and trying to carve it off.
What happens to the tree if I cut it badly and remove some of the bark. Does bark grow back or will the tree die?
Thanks
chris

Sponsored Links
That depends on the age, type, height, girth, and condition of the tree.

Oh, and where it's situated.

Oh, and how deep you cut it.

Oh, and the time of year.

easy way to kill a tree by cutting a ring of bark off!

Ivy will cut very easily with a pruning saw, and also pull of fairly easily too

Hello
There is a tree in our garden, the first 6 ft of the trunk are covered in ivy.
I want to try and remove it but it is horrible.
I thought of taking the electric saw to it (I have a B&D one that works like a chainsaw) and trying to carve it off.
What happens to the tree if I cut it badly and remove some of the bark. Does bark grow back or will the tree die?
Thanks
chris

To ring the Ivy just cut the stems as close to the base of the tree as possible and let it die. To prevent nicking the tree try to pull the stems away from the tree first, use a sharp knife, small pruning saw, loppers or secateurs and obviously be careful when cutting. Pull or dig out the roots of the ivy and once the ivy is dead remove the rest by just pulling it off. Wear glasses when pulling it off though due to the small particles which'll come flying your way in their millions.

Either that or use a selective weedkiller but follow all instructions properly. You may have to repeat the treatment and bear spray drift in mind if you have other plants in close proximity.

Sponsored Links
thanks for all the advice, little bit of hard graft then, ill see how it goes.

thanks, much appreciated

chris

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back