A warm roof abutting a cold roof

imo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am doing a loft conversion with a dormer with a flat roof. I am upgrading the insulation on the existing sloping roof on one side, this will be a cold roof, but I want the flat roof to be a warm roof as from what I gather this is the better option in regards to condensation.

My question is, would there be a problem where the warm roof and cold roof meet?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
My question is, would there be a problem where the warm roof and cold roof meet?
No problem. It will not matter if the cold moist air within the main roof space enters the flat roof void as protection is there, nor would it matter in reverse.

However, to get the best of both worlds, isolate any air movement with a wad of fibreglass to prevent air movement as this will alleviate any unnecessary cooling within the flat roof void.

I'd definately ensure continuity of the insulation by filling in the gap between the flat roof and the rafter insulation, there is a potential cold spot there. Cold air infiltrating between the flat roof joists could cause condensation imo.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back