A WARNING TO ALL TRADERS WHO USE THIS SITE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Traders who frequent this site:

Beware "phony" invoices from companies who claim to have entered your details onto their website directory.

I didn't, but my details appeared on line and they sent me a bill for 50 quid.

If you do enter your details, there is no mention of the fee, just a "Click here to register your details" button.

So in other words, anybody can go on the site and enter your details and you'll get the bill.

My guess in my case is that they did it to generate revenue. Not all people question a bill. "Oh, I've got a bill here for advertising" and they will pay it without a second thought.

Anyway, I've rung TS and sent the co. a letter insisting on proof of me entering into a contract with them, unless this happens, I will pay nothing.

Sponsored Links
Perhaps you could go round there, fiddle with some wires and invoice them back?

Even better, go round with other annoyed tradesmen and "do some free work for them"... a pint for whoever can get their office closed by building control without affecting any other businesses/criminal scams in the building!

ban-all-sheds said:
Phone the police.

Ban

Mentioned this to TS, and they said not to, see if it can be resolved by writing a reply asking for proof of contract first.

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
Mentioned this to TS, and they said not to, see if it can be resolved by writing a reply asking for proof of contract first.
I would have thought that that would "resolve" it - it'll be the last you ever hear from them.

Can't see how it will stop them trying to scam the next poor sod though. Plod or some burly blokes with baseball bats will be the only thing to stop them.

Still - it makes an easy life for TS, doesn't it?

Simon, if this site is the source of the letter, then I would suggest you contact [email protected] as I am sure they would not be overly impressed by this due to the impression it would give people of this site.

No, it's not Jim, but have seen links elsewhere. Apparently there are many co's trying it on - money for nothing.....

Glad to hear Simon...that it's not from here that is.

It may be an idea to make the admin aware of this anyway as there may be something they can do their end

Just been reading this topic and thought I would comment.

The only site listed on DIYnot.com related to listing tradesmen/suppliers is extura.com, with whom we are closely linked. Companies wanting to advertise on there(/here) need not worry about the sort of dodgy practices mentioned above as this will not happen.

You can create a free preview advert to get a feel of how your advert will look and only when you click on the payment page will it ask for payment details. No surprise invoices turning up at random.

:)

We would be interested to hear about any such dodgy companies although sadly there isn't much we can do, so trading standards is probably the best route. As mentioned before you can always contact us at [email protected]

Saw TV prog 'Hot Plastic' BBC 1 Weds 21.00hrs.

Having seen some of the scams, the filmed evidence of equipment, stolen and cloned cards, fraudulently accquired building materials .... We Were finally informed that the majority of the 'suspects', all arrested at the 'scene', were merely cautioned ....
What future ??

P

My bro works in a prison. He gets to talk to the inmates, he was telling me about a Romanian he was talking to who was in for a cash machine scam. They would stick a camera on the cash machine and replace the card reader. Apparently on his best ever day he made £20K. Now, in the end he got caught, but all the money was now cash back in Romania with his family. He got a few months in prison but he doesn't care because when he gets out, he goes back to Romania and can relax in the big house he is going to buy with the £10Ks he has stolen from UK citizens.

Some thieving get used my credit card in South Africa and put over £6K on it in 2 transactions... in a bar. Now, if that doesn't smack of an inside job, I don't know what does! I only found out cos I rang up to pay the £50 or so balance on it that month, asked what it stood at and was told this enormous figure!

In the TV prog twas Romainians doing the ATM scam, they fitted a remote camera inside a piece of plastic channel which was then push fitted above the key pad !!
They got the card data by merely sticking a copy of the Bank door card swipe unit next to the real one, thus 'skimming' a swiped card ... Even the policeman at the scene did not notice an unusuality in TWO door operating card swipes side by side !!

How about the building supplies scam ? Using someones card number etc. have the goods delivered in some random street ... Go along with lorry pick up the goods and scarper ...

P

When I bought my flat I got letters from a major ladies' fashion catalogue for some random unknown name who couldn't have lived here for at least ten years (wasn't the previous occupier)... One day I opened a particularly angry looking one and it turned out to be a demand for payment. Wrote back and said "dunno who they are", hopefully didn't get blacklisted!

Adam, I work part time for a credit reference agency. You've nothing to worry about, previous occupants have no bearing on your credit score. If you want me to do an FOC credit check on you, email me at [email protected] with your address, full name and DOB and i'll get back to you with all the details listed for you.

ninebob said:
You've nothing to worry about, previous occupants have no bearing on your credit score..
They do as far as BT are concerned, as do the people living in the neighbourhood.....

Anyway - call me suspicious, but I wonder if Adam's story is a cover for having been caught making purchases of ladies fashion items that are too big for his wife/GF... ;) :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back