A water tight seal between wood and concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to place a weather bar underneath my garage door to stop water from the outside getting underneath the garage door and onto the floor.

I've got a strip of wood to do the job and will be placing around 3-4 screws through it to secure it into the concrete. But whats the best way of sealing it along its length to stop water getting underneath it?

I was going to use silicone selant and put a wavy bead underneath it before I screw it down on the concrete, and then run a smear along the front when its in position. Would this be ok or is there a better way to do it? will silicone adhere to wood and concrete ok?

Also, where can you still get hardwood strips from - all I could get as a temporary measure was treated sawn timber which I know wont last that long but its all I could get.

Sponsored Links
Is this splashes of rain, or does the drive slope towards the garage?

If the latter, you will need to carve a channel to take the water to the side and away from the doorway.

If the former, you might use a mortar fillet inside the door. Wood will rot, and will expand and contract as it gets wetted and dries, so will not form a good seal.

definitely not wood. have you thought about fitting a rubber strip to the bottom of the door itself?

Sponsored Links
Wood a mortar fillet be ok with a car driving over it ocassionally - once a week at most. Will probably make the fillet 1" high and 1.5" wide if I do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back