A380

stxbusf5-humor.jpg

Now offering economy flights :D

Sponsored Links
And we make the engines, the landing gear, and as brits, the wings. But would you really want to trust a wing made in wales ?? They'll all be running off to burn down houses done by "Johnny foreigner (English)" none of them wanted in the first place.
o.k. thats wrong, only when the yews are busy with the rams ;)

I reject British now .. I am English ... Any old shoe-bomber and his mates seem to be British (spit) to day --
:eek:

Sponsored Links
By the rules of rounding up, I'm English. But I am proud that I have 25% Welsh, 12.5% Scots and 12.5% Irish in me too.

Rejecting the Union makes us weak. It is harder for the EU to annex Britain than it is to annex England. Glaswegians are pretty hard for a start.

Who do you think would win in a fight between Newcastle and Glasgow? ;)

So what is the difference between a trent 900 and a trent 1000? Is one going to be slower?

Interesting natter about whose got the biggest one, but it doesn't say what the performance difference is.

Interesting that one of Freddie's posts in this thread was his "380".

I was also going to relate to the Turkish Airlines DC10 crash in France. Sadly, I knew some of the souls on this flight, and had the harrowing experience of watching a training video some years later which showed the way the plane and it's contents had been shredded by the trees.

The tighter built the component then the more breaking down is necessary, the tail usually follows the direction of the crash, hence most of the trees have then been splintered.

At Heathrow one of the old piers of Terminal Three is currently being demolished for the new stands and air jetties to be built to accomodate this giant. When Terminal Four was built they designed the stands to take the proposed "folding wing-tip design" which did not reach fruition, therefore they are narrower than will be needed now.

With Boeing deciding not to build any more giants they are hoping to corner the smaller feeder liner market with their "Dreamliner", but that won't happen as the Airbus family are already well in there and the Boeing 737 will have to be phased out first; so neither company will win that one. Hopefully as the 747's age, the new 380 will be replacing them.

It, the 380, will be over later in the summer for trials.

Just before I gained an interest in aviation there were double deck aircraft in use by airlines, but that was when luxury had not been superceded by profit/economy.

FR0406d2.JPG

don't tell me Rolls Royce have gone bust now, going by the half built engine above. ;)

Damocles said:
Interesting natter about whose got the biggest one, but it doesn't say what the performance difference is.

As you have already read, the A380s Trent 900 is physically larger than the Boeing 787's Trent 1000s. But you wanted performance. I got this from the RR website

Trent 900: 70-76,500 pounds thrust (however will be increased in later versions, engine has run to 93000 pounds in ground tests)
Trent 1000: 53-70,000 pounds thrust

So, the A380 has at least twice the total thrust of the 787, but potentially up to 3.5 times the total thrust.

To put this all into a different context, Eurofighter's 2 RR engines have a total thrust of around 40,000 pounds. Which might not sound much compared to the 300-odd of A380. But, according to the internet, A380 has a maximum take off weight over 500 tonnes, EF has a maximum take off weight of about 21 tonnes. :eek:

Trent stuff garnered from here and there :-

Trent 900 (A380 four engine)
Thrust 70,000-76,500lb (Certificated up to 80,000lb)
Bypass ratio 8.7-8.5
Fan diameter 116in
Length 179in
Best fuel consumption, lowest emissions per thrust Lb of A380 variant engines.
Only variant transportable by 747 !!
================
Trent 1000 (Boeing 787 twin engine)
Thrust 53,000-70,000lb
Bypass ratio 11
Fan diameter 112in
Length 152in
Boeing require more electrically driven ancillaries.
Llife cycle costs, rather than weight or simply fuel consumption, were foremost in the requirements specified by Boeing.
================
:eek:

Sponsored Links
Back