aargh! Grundfos pump LABEL MISSING ! need 2 replace it -how?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone

The water pump in our old boiler system has finally died. it has been on its last legs for some time.

OK, so need to replace it.

PROBLEM;

There is NO LABEL on the existing pump !!

See photo of pump in place. I have looked at the underside where the label would be, and the label is completely missing.

My query is please;

a) what size/model/rating pump would this be ? ( 3 bed modern semi - tank in loft - small dia. radiator pipes all round )

b) are the connectors on the pumps all the same size ? these are around 50mm dia. ( I assume there is a special tool for them ? )

any help greatly appreciated

TEDDY
--------

PHOTO;

http://s785.photobucket.com/albums/yy134/cypher_0000/?action=view&current=PUMP_PIC_A.jpg

Sponsored Links
It is a grundfoss 15 -50 130mm long. Any 130mm (standard size) pump will do depending on your budget. Cheapie for around £35 grundfoss around £65.
1 1/2" nuts. All std size. No special tools for changing them. Just a big set of grips. If you get another grundfoss you can just swap the head by taking out the 4 allen screws. You would need to swing the pump round to get to them.
There will be a label on the pump but it is fitted upside down, not good. Presuming pipes are checked into the joists each side to alter the pump to the correct orientation would require the pipes to be altered.
Read the instructions regarding positioning that come with the new one.

Sponsored Links
Well THANK YOU VERY MUCH indeed , that is superb knowledge and information, well beyond anything I would know in this area.....

a million thanks, now i can order the pump and get ready for the installation jobbie, hopefully i can just swap over the motor housing and leave the rest alone

brilliant info ;)

Teddy

Your pic says it is a "bird's eye view", so I assume we are looking down vertically on the pump. If so it is incorrectly installed as the shaft must never fall below the horizontal.

Grunfos say:

Where pumps can only be installed in horizontal pipework, it is imperative that the pump shaft is horizontal, or slightly higher at the vent plug end.

The shaft must not fall below the horizontal plane, even by a few degrees, as this causes premature wear of the top bearing and shaft.

Pumps should not be installed with the shaft in a vertical plane, as this may lead to dry running of the top bearing, noise and possible pump failure.

It needs to be rotated 90 degrees so the shaft is parallel with the isolating valves.

Your pic says it is a "bird's eye view", so I assume we are looking down vertically on the pump. If so it is incorrectly installed as the shaft must never fall below the horizontal.

Grunfos say:

Where pumps can only be installed in horizontal pipework, it is imperative that the pump shaft is horizontal, or slightly higher at the vent plug end.

The shaft must not fall below the horizontal plane, even by a few degrees, as this causes premature wear of the top bearing and shaft.

Pumps should not be installed with the shaft in a vertical plane, as this may lead to dry running of the top bearing, noise and possible pump failure.

It needs to be rotated 90 degrees so the shaft is parallel with the isolating valves.
I totally agree but it looks to me that the pump is between the joists, probably under the floor, so turning it up to a proper orientation would not be an easy job - would need resiting.

I totally agree but it looks to me that the pump is between the joists, probably under the floor, so turning it up to a proper orientation would not be an easy job - would need re-siting.
If you have over 75mm from the underside of the floorboard covering the pipe to the centre of the pipe, you will be able to turn the pump. The switch will then be on the top.

Here are the pump dimensions:

I totally agree but it looks to me that the pump is between the joists, probably under the floor, so turning it up to a proper orientation would not be an easy job - would need re-siting.
If you have over 75mm from the underside of the floorboard covering the pipe to the centre of the pipe, you will be able to turn the pump. The switch will then be on the top.
I realise that, but most underfloor pumps have the pipes notched into the joists, making it near impossible to get it right, especially for a DIYer.
And lucky to find it, they are usually directly under the wardrobe and the "new occupier" doesn't know what a pump is - let alone where.

I realise that, but most underfloor pumps have the pipes notched into the joists, making it near impossible to get it right, especially for a DIYer.
Agreed, but the OP needs to be aware that his pump is incorrectly installed so, if he replaces it with a new one in the same orientation, there is a high probability that it will fail fairly quickly.

As he has not responded to say he has read the posts on this topic, I am sending him a comment.

there is a high probability that it will fail fairly quickly
yep, but I've found when they're installed like it is there's a fair chance the system is not too good which also helps the failure of components ie.dirty system.

hello,

yes it seems it is installed the wrong way

I will see if there is at least 75mm space between pump and floor boards, if so I will rotate it 90 degrees

no wonder the thing failed, mind you it is at least 5 years old

if i cant get it 90 degrees, would it be ok to leave it say 45 degrees or as much angle as i can get ?

Teddy

no wonder the thing failed, mind you it is at least 5 years old
They should last 10 year or more!

if i cant get it 90 degrees, would it be ok to leave it say 45 degrees or as much angle as i can get ?
Grundfos say

If you can't get the shaft horizontal, you should try to find another location for the pump - if that is possible.

well the pump is under the 1st floor floorboards, it really will be a massive job to relocate it, it shouldve been installed on the wall and a little box made to cover it

my only option really is to replace the pump and even if it only lasts 3-4 years, I will just keep replacing it,

I am still better of to have it a slight angle, rather than the straight vertical it is now ?

Teddy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back