AAV needed or not? New WC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm unclear whether or not I need an Air Admittance Valve in a new WC and wash basin installation in my home. It will be easier for me to build an external venting stack in this instance. There's very litttle room for a AAV stack inside the new bathroom. The new bathroom is on first floor, within attic trusses. Here's the plan:

WC coupled to soil pipe which runs horizontally, within the floor void, for 2.5m to exit external wall at 2.4m above ground level. Soil pipe then connected to T piece: downwards to join existing foul waste pipe, upwards to a vent sitting 1.5m above the roof gutter.
Within the bathroom, at floor level, I want to join a 32mm washbasin waste to the WC soil pipe using a boss or collar fitting. The washbasin is 2ft from the WC.
My Questions are:
1) Do I need an AAV on the soil pipe as well as the external vent? (If I don't, would a plug of water from the WC flush not be able to siphon my washbasin trap before the plug reaches my external vented pipe, 2.5m away?)

2) If I do need an AAV, can the AAV stack be offset from the soil pipe exit or must it sit vertically above the soil exit (with the WC pan then having to be offset)

3) If I do need to fit an AAV, can I do away with the external vent stack?

I'm sorry if these questions seem to have obvious answers but I'm no clearer, after reading Part H regs. and various other threads. I'm restricted in where I position pipes etc by the massive 8" x 3" floor joists in this old house and the narrowness of the wall where the lav and basin need to fit.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back