About my kitchen cabinet downlights...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Electrician has left me with a new bit of twin and earth sticking out the wall (which runs from an FCU)...

...one of these (pre-wired 240 to 12V transformer):

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/48058...AC-Low-Voltage-Electronic-Transformer-20-60VA

...and two of these (pre-wired 20W 12v downlight):

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/14246...chen-Lighting/Cabinet-Downlight-White-12V-20W

So, how do I connect them up?!! I'm assuming it's a 20A junction box off the twin and earth, transformer into junction box, then another junction box off the other side of the transformer for the two sets of lamp connections. and where can I hide all this?

He's coming back next week to connect circuit back into the mains (I'm not going to be electrocuting myself), and I've promised that I'll have acomplished this rather simple task in the meantime. (I was having the kitchen plastered between his visits, otherwise he would have done the lot).

what a thicko I am, so apologies!

cheers.

Sponsored Links
see //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting:single_way_lighting & treat your fcu as switched live & neutral( I presume it is a switched fcu) then connect the transformer to that & the lamps to the transformer,the output of which becomes your switched live & neutral to the lamps. You should fix any j/bs under the cupboards along with the transformer & light fittings,but a choc box would be easier than 20A junction boxes.

thanks for that.

so, as the transformer is pre-wired at both sides, i use 2 junction boxes (or 2 choc boxes)? and there's no earth on the transformer, so do i just terminate the one from the FCU in the JB?

and to be really thick, i can run two lamps off the single JB?

cheers

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back