Above HOB LED lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm looking for some low voltage LED strip lights that can go above our induction hob. The hob is in an old alcove\fireplace so the distance between the top of the hob and the underside of the alcove is only 53cm. Do I need to look for something heat and moisture resistant? Is there some sort of industry rating for this kind of application or might most LED strip lights be suitable? They would need to be reasonable easy to clean.

Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
I have looked as a range of strip lights and there does not seem to be much of a standard, I have used three types.
Ikea were in a solid perspex like package, lowish output, and would think moisture would likely enter over time. But were well protected from light physical damage.
Lidi seems hermetical sealed and very tough, with high output, 22 watt over a three meter length, but they don't seem to have redone them in some time.
TCPSmart were rather frail, they have worked well, lower output around 18 watt over a 5 meter length, had a power supply fail, but lights worked great for what I wanted, but would not stand cleaning.
Daughter got some Christmas lights in a polythene tube, these would likely work but the output was low.
With fluorescent as long as the control gear is out of the heat, the tube would stand quite a bit, but with the LED replacement the control gear is with the tube, and I would not like to get it too hot.
Typical for fluorescent designed for hazardous areas
Ambient Temperature: -40 °C to +55 °C (-40 °F to +131 °F)
above that tend you use tungsten, with items like ovens.

I would think best option is likely a cooker hood with lights built in, as whole assembly designed for the moisture and grease expected to be found over a hob. The problem with commercial lamps is one the price and two what they look like. This 1687851702248.pngmay take the heat and be gas proof so grease will not get inside, but I would not want one in my kitchen.

Nope, there's no extractor. There used to be a hood that just circulated the air through a filter but nothing that leads outside. Even that was rarely switched on. When we first moved in over 10 years ago I wondered about it causing damp problems from the condensation but it's quite a big kitchen (and quite drafty) so has never been an issue.

Sponsored Links
I spotted the Ikea ones in passing last time we were there so will definitely take a closer look at those.

The problem with a hood (which we had previously) is that it would have to be placed on the chimney breast (above our heads effectively) and doesn't really illuminate the back of the alcove. Unless there are ones slim enough to be placed directly above the hob inside the alcove. I'll have a look around as I haven't really considered that. Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back