Abutment soaker - correct solution?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I wonder if someone could advise me on this please? We are about to have a small extension put onto the front of our home, which will have a mono-pitch roof to just under the cils of the 1st floor bedrooms. The thing that is causing me abit of a headache at the moment is with ref to the existing house roof downpipes. Basically, they run into drains which will have to be moved as they will be covered by the new extension. The builder is proposing that the roof downpies will just drain onto the new roof extension and then down the new guttering and downpipes into the new drains, which will be tied back into the existing drains. I'm not that thrilled about that solution and have therefore been looking into other solutions and eventually came across the abutment soaker system which I think may be ideal as I also have an existing vertical wall that the new roof will butt up to.

My question is. Would it be feasible for the house roof downpipe to drain straight into the top of an abutment soaker and therefore become almost a 'hidden' roof drain/gutter? I can just imagine the builders proposal meaning that in time, I'll have a nice green and slimy strip running down the front of my new roof. Any suggestions? Am I barking up the wrong tree here? If abutment soakers are no good, is there anything else which would solve the issue?

Thanks
Paul

Sponsored Links
If you are referring to building some kind of abutment gutter similar to a secret gutter where differing roof tiles are joined, then i think you may be forsaking performance over aesthetics.

Is there no room to take a down-pipe drop clear of the lean-to roof?

If this new roof is shallow pitched then you don't want to over-complicate or compromise the water run-off in any way. There are other things to consider like leaf litter etc that might end up clogging particularly at an abutment.

Hi and thanks for the reply. Yes, what would be ideal would be to have the new roof tiles NOT in direct contact with the abutment wall, but with a gap, which would mostly conceal the abutment soaker (or other solution if there is one out there). The roof tiles will be plain concrete flat tiles to match existing. there is no requirement to accommodate differing tiles. Unfortunately, there is no option to clear the down pipe over/round the side of the new roof. It isn't a shallow pitch roof - I would estimate abt 40degrees to horizontal. Leaf litter also isn't a problem as there are no trees adjacent to this side of the building. Also, you mention a 'secret gutter'. What's one of those? Could it perhaps be a solution to this problem?

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
As per nosey, you are complicating your construction. Just clip a rainwater pipe along the adjoining wall, a few inches above, and same slope as the new roof, and down into the new gutter.

Hidden gutters at the abutment can work (our house has one) but they have to be done carefully, and are just another thing which can go wrong. Keep it simple.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back