Abutting fascia boards cracking - solution?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
As title, got a fascia board on the house which was installed as two boards. Where they meet obviously leaves a crack over time regardless of using filler etc. Is there a way to tie the two boards together in situ? Like maybe some kind of clip that can be embedded across them?
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Hi All,
As title, got a fascia board on the house which was installed as two boards. Where they meet obviously leaves a crack over time regardless of using filler etc. Is there a way to tie the two boards together in situ? Like maybe some kind of clip that can be embedded across them?
Cheers

A piece of matching timber, fixed to the back, with 8 stainless screws, pulling tightly together?

You could fit a 3-5mm thick hardwood 'D' moulding, which would be similar to the joint strips used on plastic fascia.

Sponsored Links
How wide is the crack?

If you can open it up to about to 3mm, you could use a caulk gun and squirt in some MS polymer, eg CT1. It is pretty flexible, not quite as flexible as silicone but it can be painted over (provided that you use waterbased undercoat first). The downside is that when you smooth it you will end up with a slight indentation.

Thanks for the replies.
I'm not averse to UPVC but this is a board at head height and I prefer wood for the aesthetics. No chance to place wood behind. Did consider using a plain moulding to cover. May be last resort. I'll have a look at CT1.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back