AccentaOptima G3 zone light flashes when setting alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an old Optima G3 hard wired alarm system with an intermittent fault- when setting the alarm one of the red zone lights flashes and the beep tone is different.

Sometimes it resets itself without any action from us and we can continue to exit with no problem and when we return all is ok. Occasionally the actual alarms goes off when we are out (indicated by a louder noise coming from the panel when try to inactivate the system on re entry).

Please can someone help, we have replaced the PIR which is associated with the zone but this has made no difference.

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is zone 1 set up as the entry exit zone ?
If you are moving around when setting the alarm then the entry exit zone will be indicated in the display and the tone will change.
Is it in the hallway ? Does it look towards letter box ?
Are any other devices on the same zone ie a door contact ?

Hi
Yes, it’s the exit zone, we have a PIR for it, it has worked for years without a problem (PIR replaced last year but made no difference). There are no more devices attached to that zone.
The panel is in a cupboard under stairs so I don’t affect the PIR when I am setting it.
If I put the code in to set the system sometimes the red light flashes so I re- enter the code to set it back to unset, but can’t seem to get it to set properly. Sometimes when I put the code in the beeps are normal, then the red light flashes and beep changes, but then it stops flashing and continues with a normal beep and the alarm sets ok, and doesn’t go off while I am out. However, sometimes it does go off as indicated in the panel when I unset the alarm.
Any advice will, be appreciated!

Can you see the pir from the cupboard?
If you stand completely still and set the alarm does it set ok.

Sponsored Links
You can’t see the PIR from the cupboard.
Sometime the alarm sets ok, sometimes when I put the code in the zone flashes and there is a different beep, if this happens then 1 of 2 things happens, either it stops after a few seconds and alarm sets ok, or it doesn’t stop and I have to put in the code to stop it. Even if it sets ok, sometimes when I come back that zone has triggered the actual alarm.

With alarm systems the entry exit tone will change when you walk through a detector or open a door with a door contact fitted.The change in tone let's you no that the device has pick up movement or the door opens.when the tone goes constant that tells you the circuit is clear no fault.
Some control panels light up the LED when a device is open circuit or displays front door, hallway etc.
You may be interrupting the led's wrongly and you may not have an issue.

Hi
The light flashes and the beep changes when I am still in the cupboard with the panel, so the PIR has not been activated.

Link out zone or short alarm pair out in pir.
If problem still there then possible problem with alarm panel ?

Thanks, are you suggesting moving the PIR wiring to a different (empty) connection in the panel? If so will try it tomorrow.
Please can you explain what you mean by ‘short alarm pair out in PIR’
Thanks for your patience ...

Take the cover off pir, inside are alarm pair of wires,tamper pair of wires and power connection.
Twist the alarm pair of wires together and put lid back on.
Does fault still happen, if so could be control panel.

Thanks will have a go tomorrow and let you know how it goes.
Thanks and have a good evening.
Jane

Are you sure that another detector in another room that may look into entry route is not picking you up ?

Absolutely certain...seems odd that the red light flashes but none of the alarm bells actually sound ...and that it can sometimes stop flashing again and allow the alarm to be set. Grrrr!

We moved the PIR to a different connection in the panel, it’s ok now but we will have to see what happens in the next few days, since the problem was intermittent.
Thanks for your suggestions.

If you have moved the pir to another zone have you changed the programming to allow for this ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back