Acceptable tolerances, for level

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone help me with what is considered acceptable tolerance for level?

Having a house built and some of the ceiling/lintels/beams are out of level and I'd like to know what is considered acceptable?

Builder is timber frame.

Sponsored Links
Having a house built and some of the ceiling/lintels/beams are out of level and I'd like to know what is considered acceptable?
Are these items visibly out of level?

I know that when retrospectively fitting beams and lintels it is not always possible or practical to get the beam spot on, due to inaccuracies in the existing masonry.

We use a laser to check our buildings at various stages. +/- 7mm over the width of the building (10m or so) i would say is acceptable for the horizontal and a similar tolerance for the upright.

When installing timber elements however you need to understand the nature of timber products lead to a broader band of tolerance.

Loads also affect the way a building reacts.

I would imagine steel frame buildings and builders work to strict, accurate tolerances.

I have one that is 15mm out over 4.8m

Another that is 9mm out over 3m.

Window lintel 8mm over 1.5m

Not huge amounts just a bit lazy in my book, but hardly the crime of the century and unlikely to be noticeable or structurally problematic.

More alarmingly how did you know something was 15mm out over 4.8m...? :eek:

Sponsored Links
I have a PLS self levelling laser, clearly the people erecting the building, do not.

The 15mm one is actually the roof panels, the walls on the first floor aren't level. The roof is low so the eaves are at head height.

also remember if you are using a level to transfer points along the wall you need to flip the level every time as in finish with the "B" end start with the "B" end then next point finish with the "A" end start with the "A" end

the only cheap accurate way is a long tube filled with water [a water level]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back