access control - door latch/magnet on pvc door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having a problem with the final part of installing an access control system.
I need to fit some kind of magnet to a PVC door, which will work with the panel. When i've fitted these before the door has not been a cheap double glazed door and i put in a electric release rim mortice lock. However because its a double glazed door won't work.
So i've looked at a Door magnet, but following the instructions it will not allow me to fix the magnet to the wall due to the over hand being about a foot. Is there a way of fitting a door magnet onto the side area of the door (as theres alot of room to the side).
Or is there a way of fitting an electric realice rim lock to the outside of the pvc door?
Its probably simple to fit the magnet to the door etc but i just cant get my head round it?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
A similar problem where a standard magnetic release could not be fitted was solved on a temporary basis by a solenoid operating to push the bolt of the latch out of the catch plate in the door frame and far enough back into the door to allow the door to open.

The solenoid was fitted in a horizontal hole drilled into the door frame behind the catch plate and adjusted to press against the bolt which had to be be slightly flattened at the end so when the door was opened the bolt went onto the catchplate as it slid off the solenoid ram. Without the flat end the point went into the gap between soleniod ram and catchplate.

In your case the proximity of the window means there may not be enough depth for this solution in this form but the principle of a mechanism to push the bolt out of the catch plate may be worth considering.

You need to consider fire regs here too.
Can't tell from the piccies, but is there multi point locking on the door?

Best solution though is to go for electric release/lock strike and replace the lock itself with a night latch type.

Remember, the exit through that door needs to be fail safe. Hence the night latch lock.
Bolts and solenoids etc have to be side load rated. The standard ones aren't.

Maglocks on UPVC is not a good idea and can be summed up in one word...s**t!!

Sponsored Links
yes theres multi point locking on the door.

How would i go about fitting a electric release/lock strike to a upvc door.
Is there a surface fitted one? so the upvc door stays as it is, and the lock is fitted to the surface of the door?

yes theres multi point locking on the door.

How would i go about fitting a electric release/lock strike to a upvc door.
Is there a surface fitted one? so the upvc door stays as it is, and the lock is fitted to the surface of the door?
Lock strike replaces existing. Remove it and you should see cavity and access to frame edge - there's yer cable access.
Lock - you need to know what made and model your multi point locking is. If need be remove it and details should be stamped on it. Replace main lock unit with night latch version. Sorted.

cheers atilla,
can you make two L brackets into a Z bracket, as i can get those in a pack from screwfix, or would it have to be a z brakcet?

cheers barsteward,
I've got a couple of solutions now. I'll try changing the lock like you said, but if i struggle i'll put the maglock on.
Is there a reason though why maglock is not a good idea?

cheers atilla,
can you make two L brackets into a Z bracket, as i can get those in a pack from screwfix, or would it have to be a z brakcet?
Don't go there. You'll regret it. Big time.
Whilst you may see them, mag locks are not suitable for upvc doors.

cheers barsteward,
I've got a couple of solutions now. I'll try changing the lock like you said, but if i struggle i'll put the maglock on.
Is there a reason though why maglock is not a good idea?
Think about how they work - door and maglock. (not forgetting your 3 point lock.

UPV-C door?

its a piece of plastic- the lock is absolutly nothing to do with the security of it.

bang the maglock on it - use the money saved to buy a sharper chisel (we`ve seen your recessing abilty - LOL)

UPV-C door?

its a piece of plastic- the lock is absolutly nothing to do with the security of it.

bang the maglock on it - use the money saved to buy a sharper chisel (we`ve seen your recessing abilty - LOL)
Save the money?
Night latch is actually cheaper. And better.

I think I understand the theory behind everyone saying not to do it. A plastic door bends and flexes - a single locking point is not good enough, especially at the very top - one could easily bend the bottom of the door sufficient to break a hinge etc, or even overcome the magnet's fixings. Also a PVC door has two closed positions - slammed shut, then locked - locking it by throwing the handle up tightens it to the frame.

Whereas a wooden door offers much greater rigidity, and has only one closed position, therefore a mag lock is much more suitable.

The regional office of my company has a video entry system with a mag lock on a PVC door - I always try the door before ringing, and im always alarmed by the amount of give on the door. :eek:

I suppose it boils down to the amount of security required, and the habits of the door users - will the door require locking properly on a normal basis, or will the mag lock be the sole form of security etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back