Access to Loft Space

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a cross view of a chalet bungalow im having work done. The black box marks where a hatch goes into the loft. Note their isnt one on the other side of the house or to the roof space (effectively meaning the left part of the attic space and roof is inaccessable). In terms of building regs do I have to fit a hatch to make this accessable?
JaK6F.png

Sponsored Links
I don't think you need a hatch but one is always a good idea just for the odd inspection if nothing else. Sometimes a hatch in the ceiling below is OK depending on access.

I would make one if only for the storage space, somewhere to put the xmas tree & decs.

Sponsored Links
This is a cross view of a chalet bungalow im having work done. The black box marks where a hatch goes into the loft. Note their isnt one on the other side of the house or to the roof space (effectively meaning the left part of the attic space and roof is inaccessable). In terms of building regs do I have to fit a hatch to make this accessable?
JaK6F.png

Do you have insulation above your ceiling? If not, it would be advisable to create an access so you can lay some. Same goes for insulating within or behind the (presumably stud) wall to the left of your picture.

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back