Accessible toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help, I'm converting a property in Scotland and I've been told I must install an accessible toilet on the ground floor - problem is I can't unless it's in the middle of the proposed living room! I know this is mandatory for new build but is it possible to have the requirement removed in conversion. Building control are not very helpful!

Sponsored Links
What is it you need to know :confused:

You have to agree everything with BCO or appeal to their gaffer if you are unhappy. :(

Sponsored Links
Although I don't condone the practice how about a "temporary" installation.

Some building reg requirements are mad, especially for conversions where the existing property may not be suitable for full compliance.

Stick it on an outside wall (to allow easy fan extraction) and perhaps on a Saniflo and pusfit hot/cold. Don't plaster or make good - no requirement. Then rip the lot out after sign off and stick on fleabay. :LOL: :LOL:

Is the property a private domestic dwelling, or is it something else? Is it for members of the public? Is it for aged or disabled people?

Maybe it isn't mad to require an accessible toilet.

It's a private one bedroomed dwelling house - for my own use. In Scotland all new builds and conversions must have an accessible toilet in the main living area. I have sympathy with the requirements of less able people but guess what if I was not mobile I wouldn't be buying a house with stairs.

If you are using an architect he should know what there after. Are you converting 1 house into 2 1beds? i am from ayrshire and usually find the b/control quite helpfull (with a few exceptions). If you have drawings i could take a look for you.

batcol said:
It's a private one bedroomed dwelling house - for my own use. In Scotland all new builds and conversions must have an accessible toilet in the main living area. I have sympathy with the requirements of less able people but guess what if I was not mobile I wouldn't be buying a house with stairs.

The reason a bog's required on the ground floor is if you (or more importantly the next owner) have visitors who are less able. Whilst you may not like the regs they're there for a reason. I've never done a new house in approx 20 years and not put a downstairs bog in. It is worth noting though that the regulations (in England anyway) are not actually cast in stone and they can be not adhered to if you can put a good enough case forward. If you can convince BC that the development would not be able to go ahead or it would become impractical if you install a WC on the ground he may see it from your side. Having said that, there are certain parts of the regs (fire regs spring to mind) whereby they won't back down on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back