accurate boiler sizing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
could anyone reccomend a accurate method of sizing for a new boiler & rads . i used the whole house (sedbuk) method and it came out at 16kw . then i did a room by room heat loss calc using several online calcs & it came to 29kw . why the big differance . the room by room method was very detailed & took me hours . please advise

Sponsored Links
ps i would like to add the house has 200 square metres of floor area & is a mixture of solid wall & cavity (insulated ) built around 1920 -1930

could anyone reccomend a accurate method of sizing for a new boiler & rads . i used the whole house (sedbuk) method and it came out at 16kw . then i did a room by room heat loss calc using several online calcs & it came to 29kw . why the big differance . the room by room method was very detailed & took me hours . please advise

ps i would like to add the house has 200 square metres of floor area & is a mixture of solid wall & cavity (insulated ) built around 1920 -1930
That could cause confusion for the Sedbuk calculator as it assumes the whole house is solid wall or filled cavity; it can't cope with mixed situations. The same goes for single/double glazing. Try running the Sedbuk calculator based on the worst case.

I wouldn't trust any of the on-line calculators. They make too many assumptions and some use the discredited method of multiplying the room volume by a constant to calculate the heat loss. If you want to do the job properly, download and install Stelrad Stars.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back