Acoustic Flooring Advice/Help/Tips Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone
My wife and i have recently moved into a one bedroom first floor flat.

The flat below us is being renovated and we have found that we are getting considerable noise when the guys are working or even talking!
We spoke to the owner and all he could say was the law allows him to start work at 7:00am....blah, blah.

We have therefore decided to fit some kind of acoustic flooring and hence the request for advice/help/tips.

The building was originally a large house build in 1857, having been converted in the 80's. The floors at present are 8ft x 8ft MDF-type panels. I am not sure what is inside the cavity between the ceiling below, probably nothing as a previous tenant said they used to be able to hear the person snoring in the flat below.

Therefore, i would dearly appreciate any advice/tips on materials to use, how to go about it.

I am a fair DIY'er i.e. no expert but willing to have a go.

Thanks in advance for everyone's replys..

Kind Regards

Dave

Sponsored Links
Have a word with the builders and find out what they intend boarding the ceiling with. They will need to meet fire regs anyway so suggest to them using 2 layers of plasterboard and full depth rockwool in between the joists. If they are fitting any downlighters these should also be acoustic and fire rated.

If you'd rather pay for and do the work yourself, just get some 4" rockwool rolls and lay between the joists. Whatever floor covering you use, no gaps. t&g plywood would be a good choice, followed by a good quality underlay then carpet. Hard floors are best avoided but you'd get away with a timber or laminated floor if floated on a sound reducing underlay over the plywood.

Not sure he's right about 7am
http://www.greenwich.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/1BA403C9-40C7-4692-A1CF-7B8E164EFEB8/0/building.pdf

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back