Acrylic Flex and Strength

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi guys,

I'm making a coffee table/reptile enclosure. The enclosure part of the design is made of acrylic and is basically a box with drawer runners/slides on the bottom.

The dimensions of the box is 910x540x420mm.
I would like all sides to be made of acrylic, however I'm not sure about the flex of the acrylic.

If the acrylic is joined using Weld-on or an equivalent (apparently they're pretty strong), do you think the acrylic will be strong enough to hold itself in place without flexing? What thickness acrylic would achieve this?

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
With that sort of size, you can expect some flexing, but not enough to cause cracking I wouldn't have thought.
However as with most materials incorporating butt joints, the thicker section material the better to give maximum surface area for the adhesive, acrylic needs a welding adhesive such as Tensol for best results.
Just a thought, have you considered using a purpose built aquarium in glass, mounted in a metal or timber frame? Acrylic does scratch very easily.
John :)

Yes acrylic will go dull in no time used as a coffee table. BTW acrylic (fish) tanks are commonplace made entirely from acrylic, point being that if thick enough there will be no flex and the bond is effectively a welded joint. But really you'd need to consult a supplier to confirm thickness's and suitable adhesives available in your country.

Thanks for your help! The acrylic isn't for the entire table. This is the design i'm going for (it's changed a little bit since then). The top is made of glass and the rest of the transparent sides are acrylic. I wouldn't think that the acrylic being in the position that it's in wouldn't dull very quickly. The more common thicknesses I've found are 2.5mm and 5mm. Do you think either of these thicknesses would cut it? Or even a combination of the two thicknesses - maybe a 5mm bottom and 2.5mm sides and top?
Table Enclosure.png

Sponsored Links
Can't you get thicker than those, in the UK you can buy it from plenty of online suppliers, cut to size in loads of different thickness's up to like 30mm or so. I would have said for the sides you should be looking for more like 10mm at least to avoid it feeling a bit bendy. But just speak to some suppliers, they will know for sure.

One thing to be aware of with acrylic which no one will worn you about ( although in your case the water may prevent it being a problem) is that when it warms through sunlight the outside expands more than than the inside & it takes on a bend.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back