Acrylic shower tray - urgent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm a little worried....

I bought a shower enclosure and tray off a well known auction site and upon winning the auction thought I should check whether the shower tray is acrylic or stone resin.

Funnily enough it is acrylic. Firstly, are these ok, or are the generally rubbish. If they are a bit rubbish, is there a way I can install it to prevent creaking, flexing etc. I really would like a sturdy, non moving tray. Should I not buy this and get a stone resin one, or can I install it on a mortar base (?) to eliminate it moving?

Quite an urgent one this, so would appreciate quick responses.

Have posted this in general DIY as well, as not sure which is right, mod feel free to remove from inappropriate forum.

Sponsored Links
There are different thicknesses to acrylic shower trays and differing grades of quality. You have made your winning bid and I suggest that you take the item and examine it at your leisure, if it is not what you want bung it back in the auction:cool:

yeah, I kinda made that decision anyway, I got it at a good price, so I've paid for it. Will see what it is like. If it's rubbish I'll buy a new stone resin pentangle tray to replace it.

Would it be possible to flip an acrylic tray over, and fill it with cement (or suchlike) to make it more solid?

I doubt it, you might be able to help it with some timber framing but I would wait and see what it is like, it might be OK :D

Sponsored Links
i think i've got acrylic but can't say for sure. it's like a bath on the top side and sort of hard foam on the underside.

i followed manufacturer’s instructions and bedded on 5mm thk mortar directly over floorboards.

i made sure i used best sealant and stayed in the cubicle while sealing and gave it 1/2hr to cure a bit before getting out (probably a few bags of sand might with hindsight be better approach to keeping the weight on until sealant has fully cured).

i am pretty pleased with the result. it's clearly not in the stone league but it does the job and would say i would take the cost saving again in the future. It’s only been in 12 mths so early days yet.

thanks for your feedback. I'm getting mine tomorrow, so will take a look.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back