Adaptor to make wall lights switched?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I moved in to my flat there were 2 electrical cables in place already for attaching wall lights to.

My current set up is 1 light switch which works a ceiling light.

I have checked the other threads in this forum, which suggest that if there are 2 black and 1 red cable in the light switch box, then it is most likely 2 lights on a one-way circuit. Unfortunately, I only have 1 black, 1 red and one earth cable in the light switch box.

Is it safe to assume from the above that the switch will only control the ceiling light?

If yes, is there an adaptor I can buy that goes between the cables in the wall and wall lights that will make them switchable? The reason that I ask is I really can't find any switchable wall lights that I like!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
it depends how they are wired. if you add a switch adjacent each light you may have to have the main light on too (not good)

try wiring a lamp and a lamp holer to the cables , see what happens then let us know

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back