Ceiling light not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a living room with one ceiling light at one end (was a separate room originally but previous owners knocked through) and 3 wall lights at the other end and there are 2 individual light switches next to each other (one was a 2-way dimmer on the wall lights, and I think the ceiling light may have been on a dimmer as well, but cant remember!).

I wanted to replace these with 2 new switches to put the wall lights on a dimmer and the ceiling light on a simple on/of switch. Unfortunately whilst putting new doors in the builders needed to pull the cables out before I had a chance to see how the switches were wired up.

What I now have is two single back boxes, next to each other. The first one was to the wall lights and this has two single core red cables. I wired an on/of switch to this the wall lights work fine.

The other box just has one single core red cable, which runs from the ceiling light, and an earth cable.

There were some cables running between the switches originally, but im not sure what exactly as they were pulled out before I saw them.

The ceiling light rose has two black cables (in one connector block), one red cable and an earth cable, which I have put into a new ceiling rose – red to loop in, blacks to neutral and earth to earth (theres no cable in the switch cable block).

However, I cant seem to get the ceiling lights to work :cry: . ...I have tried replacing the switches, bulbs and ceiling rose in case they were faulty and they are all working fine.

Can anyone please help me get my ceiling light back

Sponsored Links
ok..according to the diagrams i appear to be minus a cable to the light switch..im guessing the cable I have is the switch wire from the light?..so could I feed the live to the switch from the adjacent switch that operates the wall lights?...thanks for your help

a picture paints a thousand words..... so get us some pics..

you need a live from the other switch to the new one.. that's what the link was..
the single red is a switch wire and goes in the switch block.

Sponsored Links
try again
:oops:
lights.jpg

drawings don't help much, and actual photo of the switches and ceiling rose connections would help lots more..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back