Add a loft hatch (no access currently)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've moved into a Victorian house, the roof is a V shape.

We have access to the roof on one side of the V, but not the other, and would like to add a loft hatch, not entirely sure where to start.

I asked the neighbours if they have access to through their roof - they do not.
Before we moved in the last major work was in 1982 - I've seen the plans from then and there wasn't access to the loft then either.

Where to start? Should we drill some test holes to work out where the joists are ?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you have a valley roof. Has it been renewed? Or does it leak?

I expect you have a lath and plaster ceiling, so a lot of it will fall down when you touch it. There will be a great deal of sooty dirt. Buy a builders canister vac, lots of dustsheets, dust masks, and rubble sacks before you start.

If it is uninsulated you should be able to detect the joists by shadow staining of dust and/or the rust spots of nails, and/or a powerful magnet if the nails have not yet totally rusted away.

If it is a slate roof the timbers will be very thin and weak.

From the loft space that you do have access to, can you see under the valley into the other side? Shining a torch through might help with planning.

You are likely to have joists at 400mm centres so you will need to remove the ceiling, prop and fit trimmers and sister the joists before cutting a joist and inserting the hatch. Probably one for a carpenter if you've never done anything like this before. Or watch lots of YouTube videos!

Find out where the loft joists are using a bradawl or similar sharp object. You will have to break through the lath and plaster and work out the best position for the hatch.

Blup

Sponsored Links
not saying for one second its the case but please be aware off flying freeholds
my freinds a few doors away have a 3 story house in a corner about 60 degree angle plot
ground floor a vehicle entry arch small triangular area 2 rooms and stairs to the side
1st floor space covers the arch and the triangle
by the time you get to second floor they occupy about half next doors roof space and the building above the arch
so the house at top level doesnt overlap any area covered by the ground level appart from a roof terrace on a flat roof

- Pretty sure we can't see across the valley though I'll double check - there just doesn't seem to be room.
- I'll have a look in the loft + see if it's lathe and plaster.
- Flying freeholds is an interesting one, I'll check the registry it seems unlikely, since our side of the valley doesn't link to other neighbour, but you never know.

The roof was renewed in 1982, receipts show the house was semi derelict then / open to the weather - they treated some wood with "deep kill" in the roof. By the time we got it last year it wasn't exactly a great state either :D

Survey reckoned roof originally was slate, currently has heavy concrete tiles so have to replace with slate.

Joist in the middle of the valley and moves if you push the ceiling and will need attention, there is sometimes a small leak near it on the inaccessible side.

Survey mentioned abutments need repointing and may be letting in water, which *may* be causing the leak ... on the other hand just want to get in the loft on that side and see the state of everything.

Just remembered I've got a cheap snake camera, maybe getting that up there would be a start, hopefully won't see anything weird

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back