Add lights to circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all, looking for some advice / possible wiring diagram to help with a small project

I'm looking to add 2 spotlights into a large built-in wardrobe in a bedroom. The room has a ceiling rose and a sible switch, I want to change to a double switch to control the lights individually

Any help would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

I did consider a door switch but the doors are sliding wardrobe doors and wasn't sure exactly how I would get it to work

Two switches, one for each door.
Fit the switches on the end vertical so the doors hit the switch and break the contact when the doors are closed.

Two switches, one for each door. ... Fit the switches on the end vertical so the doors hit the switch and break the contact when the doors are closed.
I'm not sure I understand - what do you mean by the 'end vertical'?

In any event, mine has three doors, the middle one of which does not come in contact with anything when the doors are 'closed' (and it has to be able slide over either of the other two)!

Kind Regards, John

Aah, maybe not the best plan then. Maybe one or two PIRs then. Depending on the size of the wardrobe
Yes, that's a possibility.

I did toy with the idea of doing something like you suggested - with 'push to break' switches at either side (and ignoring the middle door). However, that would have meant (a) that one would have to move both outer doors away from their 'parking' position (something one wouldn't normally do) in order for the light to come on and (b) that the light would not come on if (as is often the case) one just moved the middle door to one side.

The somewhat more complicated method I ended up involved magnetic (reed switch) 'burglar alarm' sensors on each of the doors, wired in series and operating the light via a relay. That means that I have to have a little ELV PSU running all the time, but it does mean that the light comes on if one or more of the doors is moved from it's 'parking' position - and it's worked fine for 25+ years.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back