add second plasterboard to ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the best way to add a second layer of ceiling plasterboard with good vibration in insulation for impact sound?

I was thinking to use plastic drywall plugs and attach the second plasterboard straight on the ceiling with a rubber layer in between

Sponsored Links
Screwing the new board direct to the exiting ceiling, even with a rubber layer, mayl not add much to impact sound insulation.
Really, you need to apply resilient bars to the ceiling, and then fix your (ideally acoustic) board to them.

OK I would prefer to avoid it but I think I will add resilient bars.
Mt project is:
1. add directly to the ceiling Tecsound SY50 self-adhesive 2.6mm rubber sheet.
2. 15mm resilient bars
3. basic 8mm light foam carpet underlay between the resilient bars (to support rubber sheet in case of adhesive failure and reduce any reflection of the sound effect)
4. 12.5 acoustic plasterboard

In total i am going to loose 30.1 mm of ceiling height.

What do you think?

Sponsored Links
What you are proposing to do could well be OK. However, if you are in a flat, for instance,and trying to reduce sound transmission from above, it is not as simple as insulating the ceiling.
You might get flanking transmission from the walls, for example, by which the sound by-passes the work you do to the ceiling.
Unfortunately, one of the best ways to reduce sound penetration is to reduce it at source, rather than trying to build a defence against it. Is there decent underlay and carpet above? If not, is there any chance of adding it?
Lining the ceiling as you suggest will undoubtedly effect some improvement; whether you feel it justified only you can tell but hopefully it does.
If you have noisy neighbours, you have my sympathy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back