adding 3 additional sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, in my bedroom in the newly done loft conversion i only have 1 double socket which is fd from the back bedroom directly underneath.I wanted to add another 2 doubles,thinking i could just disconnect the cable between the 2 sockets in 1st floor back bed,fed up to sockets.
heres what i found when lifted boards up
pic1-1.jpg

[/img]
the top 3 sockets are the new ones,the middle are the 1st floor back bedroom ones which then go down to a fused spur(yellew in pic) which is connected to the timer for boiler(red circle). the other go`s down to a single socket on to a fused spur.
Could i wire like this?
pic3.jpg

I`m sorry about the CR*P pics.

Sponsored Links
What size fuse and what size cable, is it meant to be a ring socket circuit or radial? If its a ring its gone slightly wrong, you are not meant to spur from a spur from a spur as in your to pic. Spurring from a spur as in your bottom pic is also wrong.

Looks like a pig's ear to me!

Does not look like you have a ring final. What size is the protective device for this circuit?

If you have a radial circuit, you can wire one from another (assuming you are not exceeding the maximum floor area specified in the OSG.

If you have a ring, you have to maintain ring continuity and any unfused spurs must only feed one accessory.

Find out what protective device you have on this circuit.

Sponsored Links
i presumed it was a ring circuit.the cable`s feeding the 1st floor beds come straight from consum unit i geuss as the shower cable is with them.
why am i spurring from a spur in bottom pic?

Well, you would be if it were a ring. Are you sure those doubles in the middle row are not linked?

Don't assume anything! It could be 2 radials off the same fuseway...

What size is the device protecting this circuit?

no the 2doubles in middle aren`t linked.
will it say on fuse?

I'm trying to get a handle on this circuit. If the fuse is 16/20A it should be a radial, if it is 32A, it should be a ring. Yes, it should say on the device what size it is, and if there is no number, there should be a colour. What is it?

magico said:
its a 30A mcb with red button trip.
do`s this help?

That'll be the Wylex Standard early model MCB. Might be twenty years old. Is the consumer unit/fuseboard brown, grey or cream, and what markings or labels does it have on the front?

so any suggestions of how i can add the 3 sockets?
the consum unit is grey and only fitted when had a rewire 7 years ago.

Sorry, I thought when you said "red trip button" , and if it's grey, it was like this (or narrower, this is a big one)

WylexBright01.jpg

Is it like that? Or what make is it?

Depending on age and quality of your existing installation, it may be quite tricky to describe what to do. It doesn't look like you've got an ordinary ring or an ordinary radial or ordinary spurs. It may have had some unusual alterations or design, I can't really undersatnd how it's been done.

Can you see where the cables come from/go to under the floor or anywhere?

i`ll post a pic within a hour and test all fuses individually to see what they turn off if that helps...have 3 fuses marked sockets,2 lights but i`ll check ok
the ground floor has solid floors so all cables in wall and its tricky to say for sure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back