adding a light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have just had a conservatory built and I am a plasterer so I would like to board and skim it myself the only problem is I would need to install the electrics first. The socket are not a problem because I plan to extent my downstairs circuit then just add 3 sockets. The only problem I have is I need a light and switch as well. I can't extent my light circuit and the room above the kitchen is laminate flooring and I don't fancy putting any holes in my kitchen ceiling as I have just had a new kitchen installed. The only other way I know is to spur off one of the sockets to a 5 amp fuse switch then to a switch and then the light fitting. I have seen this done before but can't remember how it was wire behind the switch. Basically if I do it this way I will have 2 sets of wire behind the light switch. Which one goes where?

Sponsored Links
buy a DP switch.. it will be labled L and N FEED, and L and N LOAD..

light goes on the load side..

I presume you are incorporating the sockets INTO the ring and not just trying to add 3 sockets off one spur?

if so then incorporate the FCU into the ring also..

The socket are not a problem because I plan to extent my downstairs circuit then just add 3 sockets.

the circuit your planning to extend may not be ok? is there an rcd fitted at cu? is it a ring? is it a radial? have you tested for multiple rings? have you got continuity of all conductors? if these sort of things are'nt sorted you could be in for some trouble when 2nd fix is finished and it doesnt wotk? WHY EXTEND A CIRCUIT THAT HAS'NT BEEN TESTED PROPERLY?
get a proper spark to do it buddy, or at least get him to test and inspect circuit to be extended first. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back