adding a new light and switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it safe to and how would I do it?, I want to fit a new light and pull switch for a cupboard, the nearest supply is a unused fused spare.
The pull switch has a L1, a common ,and a earth connection in it,would it be safe to wire from a fused spare and what way do the wires go ,eg can I put live to live in L1, blue to blue in the common and earth to earth .

CHEERS Robert67

Sponsored Links
Is the spur used for anything?

if there is nothing connected to it hen yes you can use this otherwise its not best to use it

take the spur front off and have a look if anything is connected ( with the power off)

There are diagrams in the wiki for lots of different ways to wire your proposed light.

You will need to fit a 3A fuse in the spur.

Sponsored Links
Hi yes the spare is unused,I have done some electrical work in the house ,I always isolate the power and no I don't lick any live wires.

The spare is unused it was put in for a saniflow by a qualified spark not an amateur like myself, and its the closet power supply .

What I was asking was can I use a one way ceiling switch as a torpedo switch < a in line switch live to live etc>

cheers for the advice about the correct amp fuse

robert67

yes and no to the switch.

yes you can us it to do the same thing, no its not a torpedo switch (but you knew that)

also its a SPUR not SPARE

if the spur is unused then take a 1mm T&E cable from the load terminals to the pull switch then the live (brown) connect to the common then get another piece of 1mm and connect the live (brown) of that to l1 of the pull switch then connect the two neutral (blue) cables together with a connector block THESE DO NOT CONNECT TO THE SWITCH. Then connect the earths (green and yellow) together in another connector block then the second piece of cable you added goes to the light once it is all connected insert a 3 amp fuse in the spur

G.T.S:cool:

if you changed it to a switche fused connection unit, no pull cord required

Thanks for the education breezer but the fused SPUR is in the loft space behind my upstairs bathroom,so putting a switch on in would be a pain to switch it on I would be in and out of my loft. < BUT YOU WERE NOT TO KNOW THAT>. I will try running a cable to it and follow GAZ THE SPARKYS guide .

Thanks for all the advice

ROBERT67

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back