adding a rad near boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to add a rad, only a few feet from where the boiler flow/return pipes pass before entering the ceiling void.
Would I be correct in thinking I cannot simply T-off of these to install the rad as its before the pump? The pump being located upstair in the airing cupboard.
Therefore I would need to run 2x15mm pipes from further up the system, back past the main flow/return? Which is quite do-able - just means more copper and more boxing in :(

Sponsored Links
Depends if you have zone valves/ valve after the pump.

system is not zoned, single circuit feeding 4rads up stairs 6rads down (soon to be 4rads down).

There is a drayton 3 way motorised valve for HW cyl just after the pump.

All rads have TS valves, except for upstair bathroom.

is that what you needed to know?

many thanks

Is the Drayton valve not connected to the heating, you said three way valve?? Or is it one fitted next to the cylinder. Do you have to turn off rads at the trv's in the summer.
If you connect the rad at the boiler before pump it will heat up in the summer when hot water only on.

Sponsored Links
sorry, 3way is connected to HW and CH, to allow either independantly, or both at the same time.
We just use immersion for HW all year on E7 and have the boiler top it up early evening through winter months. Elec shower and dishwasher mean we rarely use more than a HWcylinders worth in a day.
Hadn't though of that re hot water - but it could be turned off? or is this just not proper?
It can be connected further along, just seems a shame to need to.

Ah, ok. You will need to connect the flow after the valve ( heating flow) and the return should be upstream of the hot water return t piece. General rule is the hot water return should connect last on the main return to boiler. Hard to say without seeing it but if not connected this way new rads will heat up when hot water only on. Having said that your not using the boiler to heat hot water in the summer.

Usually when a boiler has an external pump, it is located close to the three port valve. If yours is, as you will have to connect the new radiator after the pump anyway, you might as well do it after the motorised valve and have it working properly.

I would be interested to know why you use E7 for hot water.

I used to use E7 to heat hot water just in the summer, but after measuring the gas used to heat the cylinder over a few days and then the electricity using E7 for a few days. I found out that the cost of using gas was actually less. Then I discovered I was being charged extra for having an E7 supply. Getting rid of that cut my energy bills by a further £10 a month.

In the winter I imagine the savings would be even higher as the boiler is already running for the central heating.

Sounds like a few feet extra copper is the way to go then!

thanks for your input. :)

We use E7 as its set for every morning (4-5.30). Boiler is on most of the weekends, through the winter, but on an hour in the morning during the week (but we have found the water is not hot enough after an hour). At present the wood burner is heating the house adequately in the evenings. We also run wash mach and dish wash overnight. Boiler goes off in March, and isn't used again till oct/nov.

I've been playing with the idea of getting rid of E7 for a while, but they insist on changing the meter, and tieing me into a 12month contract. Why the digital meter needs to be changed is beyond me... add two values together and charge same rate and heypresto - but no, Elec co's don't do that... apparently. (yes I have asked several) - believe me I've had a rant about this on other forums in the past.

We are on oil - so a bit dearer than Gas

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back