Adding a resistor to a lighting circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a bathroom lighting circuit with four 10 watt LED lamps.
The dimming pack will not work with this load, ( Nothing lights up) though it does if I add a filament lamp.
I want to try adding a resistor to the circuit, but wonder about the best way to do this i.e location and installation.
Any guidance appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Do you know what a resistor will do if you add it?

Forget a resistor and change your dimmer.

Or better still get rid of the dimmer. Why on earth do you want a dimmer in a bathroom? Don't you like to see what you are doing when washing, shaving, or toileting?

Or better still get rid of the dimmer. Why on earth do you want a dimmer in a bathroom? Don't you like to see what you are doing when washing, shaving, or toileting?

Those are not the only activities that can take place in a bathroom ;)

Sponsored Links
Why on earth do you want a dimmer in a bathroom? Don't you like to see what you are doing when washing, shaving, or toileting?
Perhaps because he has the intelligence to be able to adjust the brightness to whatever is appropriate for what he is doing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like he has a dimming PACK rather than a easy to change dimmer, most manufacturers sell a resistive load accessory that you connect back at the actual Dimmer box.

Sounds like he has a dimming PACK rather than a easy to change dimmer, most manufacturers sell a resistive load accessory that you connect back at the actual Dimmer box.
https://www.mr-resistor.co.uk/item.aspx?i=10031

10031_reload_550.jpg

Hmm. Seems to me that having a large resistance load rather eliminates the low energy advantages of LED lighting. he may as well shove the halogens back in and COR.

It is a dimming pack, and a V pro (Very good yes) would not be suitable as its a period dome type switch, so I needed to install a retractive toggle switch into the dome, dimmed by a dimming pack.
I spoke with the manufacturers about the issue with the pack not working with the load, and they said they would send me a resistor to install.
I have never install a resistor like this before so wanted to get a bit of advice about how other people have done it, but...
Turns out its as 333Rocky333 posted (Thank you). A potted resistive load with leads, so nice and straight forward to install. I was more concerned about enclosing the resistor.

Dimming bathroom lights, Im suprised some find this practice unusual. Most customers I find, especially women like to have a long relaxing soak in the bath, with subtle lighting.

I was more concerned about enclosing the resistor.

It will probably need cooling air flow as
https://www.mr-resistor.co.uk/item.aspx?i=10031 said:
The RESLOAD has an effective load of 10W and an operating temperature of approximately 40°C above ambient. It should not be covered by insulating materials or positioned near any heat sources or heat sensitive objects.

The resistor shown in the image of a resistor on a heat sink is a 50 watt device 5600 ohms and hence more than capable of handling 240 volts RMS mains

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back