Adding a socket / extending the ring main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I’d like to move a socket which is behind a cabinet 8 inches further along the wall so that it is accessible for use. (The socket already feeds a spur so I cannot solve the problem that way).

How do I extend the mains cable to reach the new socket?

Should I use a junction box like this http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MK1130.html and can I bury it in the wall?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
You can use the junction box as indicated, but unfortunately all JBs have to accessible, so you can't bury it. But as it's behind a unit I wouldn't have thought that much of a problem.
This work would be notifiable if it's in the kitchen.

You could use a blank plate over the existing socket and extend each cable out to the new socket using connectors or crimps.That way the joint will remain accessible

Sarah

Can I crimp and then plaster over the old socket?

Sponsored Links
No - as the cables to the new socket would not be in the correct zone (ie where they would be excepted to be - vertically above)

EDIT:To fast RF ;)

Ah! Thanks

This has given me a further thought. I can solve the problem by moving the socket vertically - rather than horizontally across.

Crimping and plastering OK now?

It depends...

Like RF said, you can't leave cables hidden without some way of making their presence known (i.e by having a socket to the side of it if the cable is routed horizontally or directly above/below if the cable is routed vertically).

If the feed cables come in and out from the sides then moving it up will mean the cables will no longer be in safe zones. (unless the feed for the spur and the socket follow the same horizontal plane as the socket you intend to move).

If the feed cables come in from above but the cable supplying the spur goes horizontally then you are fine as long as keep the cable to the side of the spur until it is below the other socket and then go up.

Explain which way the cables are routed and we can give you better advice.

Davy

Thanks

The cable run will remain in the same plane.
i.e the exisiting cable runs vertically up the wall to the exisiting socket, I plan to crimp at this point and locate the new switch vertically above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back