Adding a spur from immesion heater wiring

Sponsored Links
The immersion heater is wired from a consumer unit and would use the socket for vacuum cleaner.

It probably doesn't contravene any regs, but it just doesn't sound like a great idea.

I assume there is a reason why you couldn't plug the vac in elsewhere?

Sponsored Links
Its frowned upon because water heaters exceeding 15 litres should have their own radial from cu.

Its frowned upon because water heaters exceeding 15 litres should have their own radial from cu.

Is that in BS7671? If so, where?

I'd always opt for a dedicated radial anyway but wasn't aware of the 15l thing.

Its in the On Site GUIDE and the Electricians GUIDE To Building Regulations.

But they are guides. Its not in the wiring regulations.

IMO an immersion circuit is a radial so the usual things should be considered.

A vacuum cleaner is a relatively large load to be putting on a circuit that is likely to be loaded at or near the rating of the circuit protective device. I'd say it's probably a bad idea to spur from the immersion circuit, unless you have the unlikely situation of being able to guarantee the socket outlet will only be used when the immersion is off.

I seem to agree in electronicsuk here, within my relatively short career I havent yet found a reason to spur off an immersion.

Personally its something I would never do, although as you say I cannot find it in BS7671.

Is there no way you can lift a few floorboards and run a spur from an existing socket somewhere?

In my relatively long career I would say that 70% of the immersion feeds I see now have additions to them. Usually shower pumps, central heating controls and burglar alarms.

I don't have a problem with any of those.

Circuit fused at 16 (or 20) amps
Immersion load = 13amp
Loads listed above usually <3 amp

so thats fine for a 16A radial.

Only last week our electrician spurred off our immersion heater to fit a shower pump. He was a qualified spark too so I didn't question it.

Although we have an immersion heater but so far have never used it as we rely on the Central Heating boiler to heat the water tank, so from replies it would seem to be ok to ad a spur.
Many thanks for all the replies
morphboy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back