Adding a spur to a socket.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I want to spur off the current double socket in the study room, at the moment I have checked there is two wires coming into the socket does this mean I can add a spur? Also is it possible to extend the current double socket and then add the spur ( would only do this if I was to move the computer to the other side of the room )

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I have checked there is two wires coming into the socket does this mean I can add a spur?
Not necessarily.
You must confirm that it IS a ring (or a radial) and not a spur off the ring which has had a second spur connected.

Also is it possible to extend the current double socket and then add the spur ( would only do this if I was to move the computer to the other side of the room )
I don't understand.

Right ok. It is a ring circuit and I don't think it is spurred as it is the only double socket in the room.

I meant if I move the existing double socket in the new location presumeably after that I can spur off that?

I would have to extend the wire via JB to the new location.

Sponsored Links
Hi I want to spur off the current double socket in the study room, at the moment I have checked there is two wires coming into the socket does this mean I can add a spur? Also is it possible to extend the current double socket and then add the spur ( would only do this if I was to move the computer to the other side of the room )

Thanks.

I'm not qualified to tell you any of this .

As above for checking a ring/radial.

As for "extending" do you mean moving the double? This may be possible either by tracing back the 2 cables and replacing with new longer ones to the new position, or less preferably by using connectors in the current backbox to connect a new pair of cables to the new position. You would have to place a blanking face on the current double to make sure the connection was maintainable.

If you do move the socket (or even if you don't) it may be preferable to extend the ring rather than adding a spur and since you will probably have boards up etc it's probably just as easy.

Right ok. It is a ring circuit
It's probably a ring.

But do you know if it's a properly functioning one, with correct continuity on all 3 conductors?

and I don't think it is spurred as it is the only double socket in the room.
It's probably not a spur.

But you do need to check.

I meant if I move the existing double socket in the new location presumeably after that I can spur off that?
As per above comment - if you're doing that, why not simply extend the ring to the new locations?

Also, is the existing circuit RCD protected?

Please read this: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:walls

Yes it is functioning properly, continuty is there in all three conductors. I only want to add one extra socket. How would I go about extending the ring? Just to confirm there are two cables going into the existing socket.

Yes it is RCD protected.

Wise move, he'll have it fitted before this post ends..............

Regards,

Lxboy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back