Adding a spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I've read numerous other threads on this but just wanted to check. I've checked a handful of sockets in my house and they all have two wires coming into each socket. Can I reasonably assume the circuits are therefore a ring rather than radial? The house is about 27yrs old.

Also I just wanted to double check there is no issue with adding a double socket as a spur onto another double socket that is not a spur itself i.e. a double spurring from a double.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Hi there, I've read numerous other threads on this but just wanted to check. I've checked a handful of sockets in my house and they all have two wires coming into each socket. Can I reasonably assume the circuits are therefore a ring rather than radial? The house is about 27yrs old.
Not really but if the circuit has a 30A fuse/32A MCB then it is likely.
Radials also have two cables in all sockets except the last one and so would a spur if someone has wrongly added another socket.

Also I just wanted to double check there is no issue with adding a double socket as a spur onto another double socket that is not a spur itself i.e. a double spurring from a double.
That is correct.

Not really but if the circuit has a 30A fuse/32A MCB then it is likely.
Radials also have two cables in all sockets except the last one and so would a spur if someone has wrongly added another socket.

That is correct.

Thank you, given the advice, I will inspect the Consumer Unit to be certain and may post back if I have other questions. In the meantime, thank you again for the input.

I've done some research and this looks like a ring circuit to me. Any chance anyone could validate my assumption from the attached photo?

Attachments

• IMG_20200802_113110.jpg
    IMG_20200802_113110.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 260
Sponsored Links
It certainly appears to be ring circuits.

When you disconnect the socket from which you want to spur, test for continuity between the two reds, the two blacks and the two CPCs(earth wires) to make sure there are no disconnections in the circuit.

The readings from the reds and blacks should be roughly the same and the CPCs 1.66 times higher.

If you do not have a multimeter, then get one before doing any electrical work.

It certainly appears to be ring circuits.

When you disconnect the socket from which you want to spur, test for continuity between the two reds, the two blacks and the two CPCs(earth wires) to make sure there are no disconnections in the circuit.

The readings from the reds and blacks should be roughly the same and the CPCs 1.66 times higher.

If you do not have a multimeter, then get one before doing any electrical work.

Thank you, that really helps

I ran the basic continuity tests using a multimeter and got satisfactory readings. I've since wired the new spur and both sockets are working perfectly. Thank you again for the help.

Just coming back to this. I've wired up my spur sockets but I find the tight squeeze in the socket to get 3 wires into each of terminals a little unnerving. Given the fact that I have my floorboards up, I am wondering if I should just extend the ring main wherever I can?

I would appreciate if someone could help me with the below questions.

1) Are there any issues or additional risks with breaking into the existing ring main?
2) My understanding is that I can break into any cable that supplies an existing unspurred socket and connect my new socket onto that?
3) Are the pushfit clamp connectors suitable in this context to join wires, my research tells me I'm ok here but would like a quick confirmation.
4) Lastly, is there a requirement to house the push fit connectors inside a junction box?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back