Spurs clarification!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to add 2 double sockets to take light loads, for example a TV and wireless receiver on one and a lamp and stereo on the other. There is currently one double socket which looks to be on a radial. Since only one extension can spur from a socket, what are my option for 2 spurs?
- Can I take a spur from the existing socket to a junction box and run 2 spurs to fused sockets?
- If so, what are the ratings for the fused sockets?
- Does it matter if it is radial or ring circuits when adding spurs?

The proposed loction of the new sockets in relation to the existing socket means it is difficult to access the existing circuit (old T&G floorboards which are difficult to take up) so I would prefer to make the extension via spurs.

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
the topic you posted in before realising the 'start new topic rule' pointed to this post which tells you how to do what you want correctly.

basically you add a dual box thus giving two single sockets sideby side instead of a double so you can take a spur off each, or use them to extend the ring.

you can put two soket outlets on one spur if it is fused (ie goes through a fcu before running to the sockets) although you have light loads now tho its best to design for the future, and why do this when you can do it a better way as described above.

could there be an advantage using a triple socket incorporating a 13A fuse, assuming all three sockets are run through the fuse?

Thanks sm1thson and TicklyT!
I will go for the dual box as it sounds the easiest of the methods suggested (although that statement may come back to haunt me!).

Sponsored Links
Following the advice given, I went to my local diy store and explained to their resident electrician what I was looking for. His response was that I did not need a dual box, and that a spur from the double socket to a 20A junction was ok (I did emphasize that I would then take 2 spurs from the junction). Is this information incorrect?

you cant have two comming from the same junction, because of the potential to overload the junction. Also note a junction box must be acceseble. you can do:
|
|
Socket-----FCU------socket------socket (+as many as you want b/c its fused)
|
|

or (dual box style -2 spurs)
|
|
Socket-----socket
Socket-----socket
|
|
|
or (dual box style extended ring)
|
|
Socket-----socket
...................| (the full stops are purely to act as spaces ignore them)
Socket-----socket
|
|
|
Part P regulations mean that the DIYer can add a spur but it must be fused (allthough you could add FCUs in the second diagram (but not in the third!). also make sure you stick to permitted cable routes (see the wiki).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back