Adding an extra radiator in the extension....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks!

I have a combi central heating system and need to put a radiator in the extension.

I have no problem putting the radiator up, draining the system but when it comes to doing the pipe work I feel I maybe a little stuck.

The 2 radiators (new and the feed rad) will be on the same wall. The radiator I want to take the feed from in is the hall way and the new one as I mentioned above in the extension approx 7 metres apart.

There is a downstairs toilet (room) in between where the rads will be but I will be drilling holes either end of the room so technically it should be mainly just 2 straight bits of pipe etc.

I've asks plumbers to come around and take a look at what I would like done and for some reason want to charge prices from £250 just for labour.

I try to explain that I literally want them to just connect up the pipes but its still the same.

I want to do this myself especially after reading about the copper pushfit fittings. I've read lots of contradictory posts many saying they are fine if done correctly but then read some saying that at low pressures they can pop off or leak?

My system runs at 2 bar which would be considered low when reading the posts that mention it and therefore has set in a little niggling worry obviously.

I've also been reading up on the pre-soldered joints but saw it mentions that because you use flux on the pipes that the system will need flushing to remove any excess flux as it is corrosive? Is this a case of filling up the system again then draining?

Thank you for any help or comments!

Sponsored Links
£250 for a full day sounds OK. Depends on how long he thinks it'll take to do, and what materials he intended to use.

What boiler/system do you have? What size pipework do you have to the radiator you want to take from?

I'd do it one of two ways. Either soldered copper or barriered plastic depending on budget.

http://www.johnguest.co.uk/

http://hep2o-uk.wavin.com/

http://www.ukcopperboard.co.uk/

It also depends on how capable you feel you are.

The Boiler is a Proforma 28 and the copper piping is 15mm

As I put in my first post most of the work will be done. All the plumber would need to do is soldier the joints which there would be a max of 10 joints.

£250 for 10 joints and fill the system to check for no leaks? I think not!

I can bleed and re-fill/pressurise etc once its established the new joints are not leaking etc.

I may just go with compression joints and attempt myself.

How is it best to get the old soldered fittings off? If I cut them off at the ends of the corner/join piece I'm likely to be short on the uprights for the T pieces.

Hope you get what I mean :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back