Adding another CU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to add an aditional single phase CU next to a 3p distribution board, but the board is full and has no spares, do I run the feed from the live connected side of the DB to the CU? If not, where?

FYI, the MD of all loads will not exceed the 100A DB

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If the loads on the single phase CU are small enough to permit it i'd pull one of the existing breakers from the 3 phase board and move it into the new CU.

Some makers do parts especially designed to attatch to the bussbars of their DBs, for example for a contactum board you could buy one of thier 100A MCB kits ( http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...tchgear_Index/CMD_Main/CMD_MCB_100/index.html ) and use the adaptor cable from it.

most importantly make sure that all cables are properly protected, that all connections are solid and that the wiring is well documented.

I need to add an aditional single phase CU next to a 3p distribution board, but the board is full and has no spares, do I run the feed from the live connected side of the DB to the CU? If not, where?

FYI, the MD of all loads will not exceed the 100A DB

Thanks

If you are having to ask this question then in my mind you are not competant to carry out this work, especially as it involves 3 phase.

Thanks Plugwash, your reply was very helpful, I hadn't thought of doing it that way, obviously a blonde moment on my behalf :D

...and Ricecrispie, not all of us have years and years of experience like you must have, but that doesn't mean we are incompetent.

If you dont have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

Sponsored Links
I think Ricicle has every right to voice his concerns.

The job you are doing sounds to be in a commercial environment, and for financial gain.

This is worlds apart from a DIYer doing a few bits in their own home.

...and Ricecrispie, not all of us have years and years of experience like you must have, but that doesn't mean we are incompetent.

If you dont have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

That's all very well but by the nature of the question you asked it seemed you were a little inexperienced.I said what I said so you could just think once more if you were competant to do the job.
If you think you are then fine - carry on, if not seek competant help.

From posts I have seen on this site and others I get the distinct impression that with apprentiships difficult to get nowdays and few if any places explicitly asking for those who have been through one a lot of people are getting some qualifications, getting into one of the part P schemes and set out on thier own without ever getting any time on the job with an old-timer to learn the practical tricks and problem solving skills.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back