Adding chemical cleaners and inhibitors.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do I add chemical cleaners and inhibitors to a sealed system.

1. It is a copper system 4 years old.
2. Boiler is a Potterton Suprima 30-80.
3. I also have a megaflo.
4. Could somebody reccomend a brand.

Thanks for any replies.

Sponsored Links
i had a very badly bunged up boiler and have used Fernox and now to water is clear and the banging and noises from the boiler have gone.

Fernox is quite expensive but not as expensive as a system flush.

I picked up on how a British Gas engineer rigged something up to inject the stuff into the system.

have a look at this link as I also advised on this one..

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=39636

Thanks Captain Pugwash for the reply, but how do I liquid cleaners/inhibitors into a sealed system. Is there something I have to rig up to go onto the filling loop.

if you haven't already bought the liquid then my recommendation is to use the filler cartridges as these are much better for sealed systems. The mastic gun gives you the way to create enough pressure to put the cleaner into the system.

for sealed systems the liquids are really designed to be used with power flushing systems that have a pump that forces the cleaner in through the drain points on the pipework - I've hired one of these in the past and used the liquid cleaner but I have to say that the Fernox cartridge way is far easier and a LOT less messy - especially if your drain points are not out of the house - say in a garage or something.

i don't know of another way to get liquid cleaner into the pressurised system other than with the power flusher. you would need to rig something up that somehow enabled you to get the cleaner to be pumped

if you have bought the liquid maybe you could take it back and exchange for cartridges - i rigged up the fitting for the filling loop in 10 mins.

Sponsored Links
captain_pugwash said:
i don't know of another way to get liquid cleaner into the pressurised system other than with the power flusher.

I do ;)

The "soot"referred to in your other post is nothing like soot. It is an oxide of iron called magnetite and is a corrosion product from the steel parts. It is very hard and wears out all moving bits. The finer it is, the worse it is as it can get into the bearings easier.

you could isolate one rad slacken one side and drain some water out then unscrew the 1/2" cap from the top of the rad and carefully pour the cleaner in with a funnel.i've used a 15 mm compression elbow a short piece of copper and a 15-22mm reducer.remove one nut from the elbow and screw into the rad fit the copper into the elbow pointing upwards with the reducer on the end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back