Adding External PIR lights to existing wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a non PIR lantern light in my garden operated by a single gang single way switch and I want to do a couple of upgrades.

Firstly i want to replace the exisitng lantern with a PIR operated security light

Secondly id like add another PIR light around the side of the house to cover that area. i would like to run both lights off the existing switch and wiring.

The easiest way, i think..... is to replace the exisitng light with the new PIR Light.

In order to power the second PIR light that will go on the side of the house i would run a wire from the existing wiring at the first light unit, along the brickwork to the second unit. using an appropriate cable for external use.

Before doing so I wondered if someone could advise whether

A) this idea is feasible?

and B) If the first security light in the circuit is activated would it automatically power up the other security light and vice versa or would they activate independently?
(id like for each light to switch independantley if possibe)

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Hi, A = yes if the correct cable is used. B the lights will electrically operate independently , but if they are within the sensor pick up range of each other they may trigger each other.

Regards,

DS

Thanks DS,

Re the cable choice, i was looking at something such as hituf or swa as i read they are both suitable types to use for exterior lighting however im not sure if they will be more than required as the cable will be mounted 10 ft up on the wall hence i dont see there being any factors that would cause damage to the cable.

Are there any otther types worth considering

B) If the first security light in the circuit is activated would it automatically power up the other security light and vice versa or would they activate independently?
With most PIR lights, you can wire them to either activate (in response to PIR-detected movement) independently, or for both to light up if either PIR detects movement - the former needs 2-core (plus earth) cable between the lights, the latter 3-core (plus earth). One possible complication of 'independent' triggering is that if the PIRs are configured to not activate the lights during daylight, if one PIR can 'see' the other, one lamp coming on may fool the other into thinking that it's daylight, so that it will not respond to PIR-detected movement.
(id like for each light to switch independantley if possibe)
If, when you say 'switch', you mean activate in response to PIR-detected movement, then see above. If you mean 'manual' switching, that would require more extensive wiring.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Re the cable choice, i was looking at something such as hituf or swa as i read they are both suitable types to use for exterior lighting ...
You would not usually be able to terminate SWA directly into a PIR/light, and hituf is so stiff that it is (IMO) a pain to do anything with! Others will probably have recommendations - maybe in terms of black tough rubber cable.

Kind Regards, John

If, when you say 'switch', you mean activate in response to PIR-detected movement, then see above. If you mean 'manual' switching, that would require more extensive wiring.

Thanks john, yes, that's what I was referring to

If, when you say 'switch', you mean activate in response to PIR-detected movement
opps, I was referring to your first comment.
Fair enough - I guessed that, but thought I should get confirmation. That being the case, I've given you the answer - that functionality would be achieved by simple connection of just L & N (and earth, as appropriate) between the two PIRs/lights.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back