Adding Extra Sockets in the Kitchen +

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just thought I'd run this past you all to see if what I'm planning is acceptable.

I am in the process of renovating the Kitchen and wish to add a number of extra sockets, to do this I intend to extend the ring main. Currently there is one double socket with two 2.5mm2 cables coming to it from the ceiling, I intend to run the ring on to a further three double sockets and then from each double socket I intend to add a spur (two with a fused switch for external lighting and one to a single socket for a Dishwasher). The ring will then have to be connected back in using a junction box as there is insufficient cable to reach the socket (I understand I have to have this junction box accessible).

All of the above I hope is ok. It is the following with which I have my doubts:

On the opposite wall I have two cables running to a combined cooker switch and socket (the Cooker switch runs to a junction box for the Cooker). I'm hoping to extend the ring main on from the Cooker Switch and Socket to a double socket and then spur from the double socket to a single socket for the extractor fan. The Cooker has a max rating of 3,8 kW. I'm not sure of the existing cable size or what size I should use (If any depending on whether it is possible) to extend with?

Any suggestions muchly appreciated?

Sponsored Links
While you are installing a ring, why don't you put all oulets on the ring? Why spur off so many times?

Vis a vis the cooker, what size are the cables feeding the CCU (cooker control unit)?

3800 Watts is to high to be plugged in to the ring, so it will still need its own circuit.

Usually a cooker circuit is protected by either a 30A fuse or 32A MCB, wired as a radial circuit in 4/6/10mm twin and earth cable.

That is why I can't understand there being two cables plus one to the cooker.

I very much apprecitae your response securespark.

After further investigation (I was sat at work typing my original post yesterday and was working from memory, which is never a good idea for me!), you are quite right. The Cooker would appear to be on a radial circuit with a 6mm cable.

I'm going to leave the Cooker circuit alone, extend the ring main on round to the other side of the Kitchen for the Extractor Fan socket and double socket.

Also, you're right! I may as well just add all the bits into the ring rather then attempting so many spurs.

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back