Adding Extractor Fan to Lighting Circuit

Wow, those look quite big, although it's just what I need to to add protection to my lighting circuit.

Are they gonna fit in my CU do you think? :)

Sounds like I'm pretty much sorted thanks to everybody here, I also just spoke to the council and the building notice fee is £126.

The last unanswered question is whether the fan isolator switch has to go right next to the fan or whether it can be on another 'out of zone' wall (as mentioned the fan may well be in zone 1 or 2).

Sponsored Links
I'm not certain about your CU, and I don't have one to hand to try it, but they do fit the two models of CU which your CU precedes. I would guess at yes, but couldn't say for definate. I can't remember ever fitting one into that model of hager CU, and I wouldn't want you to buy one and find it doesn't fit.

I do have some hager RCBOs so could measure one for you if you like, or post a photo of the CU with the cover off and I'll have an educated guess:cool:

The fan isolator doesn't have to be next to the fan. Convention is to fit it on the landing above the bathroom door.

I do have some hager RCBOs so could measure one for you if you like, or post a photo of the CU with the cover off and I'll have an educated guess:cool:

This is quite possibly one of the most helpful forums I've ever subscribed to! :D

That would be brilliant thanks, if you could measure one. Later on I'll turn off my power and have a look under the hood, and grab a piccy too.

On another note, when I spoke to building control they said that they would need some sort of evidence of tests carried out on the circuits after the work, which I'm guessing I can't really do myself? It's looking more and more likely that I'll end up getting a NICEIC sparky to do the work because that'll be another cost to factor in! :(

Many thanks.

Just came accross this.

Particularly this bit:

There have been reports that some local authorities are asking householders to have electrical installation work inspected, tested and certificated by someone other than the person carrying out the work. Section 33(2) of the Building Act 1984 (which would give power to local authorities to require persons carrying out building work to carry out such reasonable tests, at the person's expense, of or in connection with the work for the purpose of enabling local authorities to ascertain whether the work complies with the requirements of the Regulations) has not been commenced. This means in our opinion that local authorities do not have the power to require householders to retain an electrician to test and certificate the work in accordance with BS 7671. Local authorities which have adopted such a practice should discontinue it immediately.

Just wondered whether this means I can do the tests myself and if so what sort of tests do they require and how does one correctly document the tests (knowing the Council there must be a form :))

Sponsored Links
Legally, the two basic options are:

1. You have the work done by an electrician who is a member of one of the approved schemes, in which case he will notify through his scheme and you do not need to pay your LABC or notify them.

2. If anybody else does the work - whether it's you, an electrician not in one of the approved schemes, or a trained monkey for that matter - then you are expected to notify LABC and pay the fee before starting. The LABC is then supposed to inspect & test, and if they want to get a third party in to do that, they are obliged to cover that person's costs out of the fee you paid them.

What that circular you quoted is referring to is the case where you have notified LABC of your intended works and paid the fee, but the LABC is ignoring the rules and unlawfully insisting that you then pay an electrician separately to inspect, just sending in his paperwork. Many local councils adopted this approach, and still try to insist upon this, even though they have no authority to demand it and even though they've been told to stop.

Just wondered whether this means I can do the tests myself and if so what sort of tests do they require
Ones which relate to the way you told them you would ensure compliance with Part P.

Assuming that that was via complying with BS 7671 you can read about testing here: http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/8.1.1.htm , but you should plan on getting a book on testing and a copy of Guidance Note 3.

You should be able to pick up a set of testers on eBay for £300-ish, more for a recent all-in-one from the likes of Fluke, Megger etc. Hiring is also an option.

and how does one correctly document the tests (knowing the Council there must be a form :))
http://www.theiet.org/publishing/wiring-regulations/forms/formspdf6.cfm?type=pdf

However - the chances of you persuading the council to accept a certificate and test results from an unqualified person are about zero...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back