Adding FCU's for Bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

I'm looking to add a couple of appliances in a new bathroom to a new consumer unit. They are a whirlpool bath (posh eh?) and a macerater (err, less posh.) Anyway, I'm not yet connecting these to the existing fuse board as I'm redoing all the electrics. So, I'm rewiring everything to the new CU and getting a electrician in to certify. My question is this, The two appliances will each be connected to an FCU. The bath will be fitted to a socket connected to its FCU and the macerator will be connected directly to the FCU. These will be on a separate "BATHROOM" MCB on the CU. Does the wiring from the MCB need to be a ring? Or can I just run a single cable from the fuse to the FCU's?

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
No you can run a separate radial for the circuits but where do you intend to put the FCU?

The FCU's will be one in the stairwell and one in the bedroom cupboard, so neither will be in the bathroom.

You have been lucky finding an electrician prepared to certify and notify work that you have done. Most are either not allowed to or are not prepared to do it.

Sponsored Links
What do you mean they are not allowed to do it? Its illegal for an electrican to certify that works have been carried out correctly, even if they havent done the work themselves?

The deal is that if an electrician is registered with one of the Part P schemes (NAPIT, NICEIC etc) then he is only allowed to certify and notify to the LABC work that he has done himself.

Here's an extract fro the WIKI. The full text and other info can be found there under Part P:

If the work is carried out by an electrician who is registered with one of the organisations who administer self-certification schemes, (sometimes referred to as “Competent Person” schemes) they carry out the work and report the details to their scheme organiser, who then notify the appropriate LABC that the work has taken place, and that it has been certified by the person who carried it out as being in compliance with the Building Regulations. You may be familiar with this method of operation if you have ever had windows replaced by a FENSA member.

If the work is carried out by someone who is not registered with one of the schemes, be they an electrician or another type of tradesman (e.g. kitchen fitter) who has chosen not to register, or a DIYer, then it must be notified to LABC in advance in the same way that any building work which requires their involvement is notified in advance. And just like when you are building an extension, or converting a loft, etc, there is a fee payable to LABC to cover their activities related to checking compliance with the Building Regulations. (But see “LABC Issues” below regarding this).

Another important point to note is that apart from a Building Inspector, nobody can certify someone else's work as being compliant with the Building Regulations. Unless arranged by or in cooperation with LABC, a 3rd party electrical inspection is of no value in terms of complying with the law.

I spoke to my LABC before I the extension work was carried out. They said that I could do the work, that they after paying them a fee would then assign an electrician to certify the work. The person I spoke to within building control was not sure of this and checked with colleagues. All the work I've been doing is on a new loft extension which is currently not connected to the existing fuse board

Do read the Part P stuff in the WIKI. Its all there especially this bit titled LABC issues:

As mentioned above, some LABCs are spreading misinformation, either by accident or design, about the status and acceptability of electrical work done by DIYers or other non-registered people.

These include:

1) Stating that such persons simply cannot carry out notifiable work, and that it must be done by registered electricians. The legislation referenced above, Statutory Instrument 2004 No. 3210 The Building (Amendment) (No.3) Regulations 2004 makes it quite clear that this is not the case. LABCs are not allowed to refuse to process Building Notices submitted by non-registered people.

2) Stating that work carried out by a non-registered person must be inspected and tested by someone who is registered, or who they regard as qualified. Again, there is no mention of this requirement in the statutory instrument.

Recently the DCLG issued a circular to local authorities making it absolutely clear that they are not allowed to do this:

http://www.communities.gov.uk/index.asp?id=1131042

Read that document, especially. it may help you..

Taylortwocities said:
Read that document, especially. it may help you..
A quick read of that document doesn't seem to reveal what you should do if your LABC refuses to follow the rules, short of taking them to court (which will likely be a lot more expensive in terms of both time and money than just using a registered sparky) is there anything you can really do.

Never been in that position as i'm a regd sparks.
I have heard that showing that document to LABC can make things happen. Maybe others have some real experiences. :?:

barch said:
much scratching of head....... thanks.....I think!
You did say that they would assign an electrician to certify the work. Sounds OK to me.

Steve said:
barch said:
You did say that they would assign an electrician to certify the work. Sounds OK to me.

Thats right, They mention £40 to the council and a charge to the electrician, the £40 was for them to assign an electrician but, and I quote, I could just get an electrician to certify and not bother telling them. I guess because they get notified by the electrician. My worry is that id I had the same conversation with them today, I'd get a different answer

thanks anyway, and thanks for the answer. Just one radial connection required.

barch said:
Steve said:
barch said:

Thats right, They mention £40 to the council and a charge to the electrician, the £40 was for them to assign an electrician but, and I quote, I could just get an electrician to certify and not bother telling them. I guess because they get notified by the electrician. My worry is that id I had the same conversation with them today, I'd get a different answer

thanks anyway, and thanks for the answer. Just one radial connection required.

Have a deeper search on the forum regarding the charging. I'm sure that i have read in the last week or so that building control are not allowed to charge more than the stated fee for an inspection. the post i read was regarding someone who was told by the council that they would have to pay for a survey of some work done as they were too busy to do it. Someone came up with an official quote that stated that councils are obliged to carry out their inspections for the fee paid and are not allowed to make additional charges.

MarkBarl said:
Have a deeper search on the forum regarding the charging. I'm sure that i have read in the last week or so that building control are not allowed to charge more than the stated fee for an inspection. the post i read was regarding someone who was told by the council that they would have to pay for a survey of some work done as they were too busy to do it. Someone came up with an official quote that stated that councils are obliged to carry out their inspections for the fee paid and are not allowed to make additional charges.
This is correct. Only the standard BC charge is allowed. If they send a bill with this extra on, send them a cheque for the standard charge, with a short letter explaining you wont pay the extra due to this rule.

And I cant quite believe someone from the BCO said you could get an electrician to certify and not bother telling them. Jesus wept.

Use the REPLY button, not the QUOTE button.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back