adding lights to dining area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to add a couple of ceiling lights (recessed down-lighters probably) in my dining room and this is a simple enough job to do, if it wasn't for Part P.

We moved into the property at the end of March 2006 and I've already had to sort a couple of wiring issues (permissable under Part P). My thought now is, I know I can confidently install the additional lights so who is to know they weren't fiited by the previous owners? There were 2 years between the new wiring colours being made available (Apr 2004) and being made illegal to sell the old ones (Apr 2006) so they could have been fitted between these points by the previos owners.

I've also checked out the new Home Information Pack (http://www.homeinformationpack.gov.uk/home.aspx) which comes into force in June 2007 and can't see anything in there about Part P.

I know Part P is there to prevent cowboys and dodgy jobs etc. but as long as a confident installer (I like to think of myself like that anyway) follows IEE regs etc., who is to know? (apart from everyone here in the forum of course).

Sponsored Links
I do not believe the task you intend to do is notifiable.

Side point, if you are complying with BS7671 to the letter, how do you intend to test your modified circuit?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back