Adding lights to outside circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently bought a house that has three outside lights professionally wired with armoured cable buried in the ground. The lights are wired in series i.e. from the mains switch the cable runs to Light 1, then from Light 1 to Light 2 and from Light 2 to Light 3.

I would like to add one or two more lights to the circuit but to minimise the trench digging I would like to add the extra lights as a spur from Light 2. Would that be OK?

Thanks

Snowsride

Sponsored Links
so long as:
they are NOT in series,
the cable is capable,
you use wire armoured cable
you use a suitable weatherproof connection to the light

then probably

80V lamps???

Snowsride - don't take offence, but the fact that you think your lights are wired in series makes me concerned that you don't have enough knowledge to decide if the circuit can handle extra lights, nor to correctly and safely connect more SWA cable into it. I think you should get an electrician in, but by all means dig the trench yourself - this will save you money, and won't upset the electrician.

He doesn't mean in series electrically, he means they are wired in sequence.

"In series" perfectly describes lights that are wired one to another, but of course not in the electrical sense.

Sponsored Links
I've been found out - I am not sure they are wired in series - I just used the term I have heard to describe how I have seen the cable connected!

I belive Securespark's 'sequence' description is correct i.e. Mains to Switch, Switch to Light1, Light 1 to Light 2, Light 2 to Light 3.

Imagine a straight line with the switch at one end and with 2 lights at intervals along the cable terminating with Light 3. The cable is wire armoured.

So can I connect one or two more extra lights from the terminal in light 2? The circuit would then look like a Y with light 2 at the junction of the Y.

Thanks

Snowsride

sure as long as the knockouts are there to properly fit the armoured

you must use outdoor (CW type) glands

if there isn't a spare knockout at the light use a resing filled tee joint kit

Check the size of the fuse and make sure the circuit is protected by a RCD

securespark said:
He doesn't mean in series electrically, he means they are wired in sequence.

"In series" perfectly describes lights that are wired one to another, but of course not in the electrical sense.
Sorry - I tend to take a fairly precise, purist view of terms like "series" and "parallel" - I find it's best in the long run...

Thanks to all contributors and no offence was taken re. comments about my terminology. Hope to have no more questions that will expose my ignorance!

Regards

Snowsride

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back