Adding multiple radiators.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hope one of you guys can help me?

I've just built an extension on my property and I need to add three rads to the system. I have a conventional boiler with 22mm feed/ret. I plan to add an additinal 22mm loop by teeing off each of these 22mm pipes. Feeding each of the new rads off this loop. Will this work ok or do I need to take each rad of the existing 22mm pipes in turn? Access to the existing is difficult and my method lets me do all of the extension plumbing before breaking Ito the existing in one location.

Thanks in advance

][/img]

Sponsored Links
That's fine. You might need to balance the system when finished but your sketch looks good.

You can either do what you have drawn, or

... maybe consider a separate heating zone for the extension with it's own time clock and wall stat.

If the extension is mainly bedrooms you could have the heating on in there different to the rest of the house...

and ultimately save fuel and MONEY! :D

Would be worth showing where the cylinder is connected before you start.

Sponsored Links
Hey guys thanks for the quick response!! Never cease to amaze me how people give there time to help other on here!!

Extension is one bedroom, kitchen and util so wont bother zoning the system.

The new loop will be branched off within 1m of the boiler. The HW cylinder is somewhere in the existing loop but not exactly sure where. Why does it matter?

Yes it matters a lot, as you could end up with reverse circulation and nice hot radiators in the summer.

The new loop will be between the boiler (downstairs) and the pump (upstairs).

Thinking about it, it will be before the 3 way valve also

Your diagram will not work. The flow to the rads must be after the pump and zone valves. The heating return must be commoned to the other heating return and not after the cylinder return. No return connections after the cyl return, or you will get reverse circulation as suggested by dia above.

Thanks Pete, I realise this won't work now!!

Looks like I've got a load of floorboards to pull up then!

I assume sticking trv's on the new rads , turning them right down in summer would not work either?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back